Scanner Opnions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rankin6

Pro-2052or Pro-2055

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has any one on the list use either of these for Mil-air scanning? I am thinking about getting the Pro-2052 since it is on closeout for $99.00 dollars and use it mainly for that. Can the 2052 am mode be selected for anyband?

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't think so, Mike (although there is a mod floating around that would enable this). However, there's something else to consider - if you want to do any automated logging or other control functions, the 2055 won't do it - GRE scanners don't have this function in their firmware. The 2052 can. 73s Mike

[edit] If you are willing to go up to the 2055's USD150 or so price tag, you should at least investigate the BC898. Unlike its older cousin (the 895, and to an extent, the 2052), you can select AM mode for the 138-144 mhz ANG band (something some other radios can't do), and it can be fully controlled. IDTracker works with the 898, so recording and logging is a possibilty, and ARC898 as well as Scan Control works with that scanner. It has less channel capacity, but it's a little more flexibile in its application support. I can't put my fingers on it at the moment, but I'm pretty sure MT did a favorable writeup on it. The major weakpoint with that scanner is the user manual is, as I understand it, the pits. However, there are a few users here, and there's a dedicated 898 Yahoo group as well. There's 1 or 2 dedicated 2052 Yahoo groups as well, and such groups are well worth checking out (along with our Wiki pages) when doing this kind of research.

Last edited:

dparana

I had a 2052 and then sold it to get a 2055, I pretty much monitor Milair only. The reasons:
1. 2055 Can switch to AM Mode for the 138-145 range.
2. Alpha Tags - A BIG plus (for me at least).
3. Ability to tune individual frequencies. I use this alot when I have an aircraft transitions through the area where I can tune in the freqs as the aircraft is handed off. I do this to try and find previously unlisted ARTCC Freqs.

The 2052 was an excellent scanner on the 225-399 mHZ range. I thought it was fast and had great sensitivity.

Dave

rankin6

Pro-2052

So the Pro-2052 modes cannot be changed to include the 137-144 band correct? If so then thats out. I have the BCT15and BCD396t but I would like to get something to dedicate to Mil-Air. And keep the price down,Thanks for the replies

Mike

Nasby

Avoid the 2055. They almost all have defective displays (see the thread under Radio Shack scanners).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If my memory serves, I think that problem exists below a certain date code? I've heard bits and pieces about this, but not enough to say what that number might be? 73s Mike

Last edited:

Bucko

Right, it appears the 09A05 has been the most problem but have read other run dates as well have had trouble. I have a 06A05 and been using it for almost a year with no problem, be my luck it go south after this post........

Nasby

I had a display with the date code of 06-06 go out. There seems to be no failsafe date code. That's why I recommend totally avoiding the piece of crap known as the PRO-2055.

dparana

My date code is 0605 and no problems (so far). The only regret I have is that I think I should have gotten the PRO-97...no display problem like the 2055 and portable which would be good for races, airshows, and travelling.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.