Scanner performance question - SDS200 vs RTL-SDR

freema22

Feed Provider
For the last several months (years) I’ve had frustrations with reliably monitoring the MPSCS system in Michigan. I’ve tried all kinds of setups, coax, antennas, antenna placements, different sites, etc., and I just don’t feel like I am hearing everything reliably. Someone suggested that I am either getting overloaded (too much signal) or there is a cell tower contributing to blocking the signals from the site I’m monitoring. One person suggested that using a scanner like the SDR200 would be better for listening in an urban environment because of the SDR tuner being better at rejecting the spurious signals.

Now the purpose of my post. I have some extra RTL-SDRs and Raspberry Pis laying around. I thought about setting these up using one of the various YouTube instructional videos to try and see if they work any better than my Whistler WS-1065. Before I do all of that, is this going to be a waste of time? Is the performance of these home built scanners really any good or should I just bite the bullet and get the SDS200? I don’t want to throw away a Saturday or a Sunday for something that may not be any better than what I have now. Moreover, I’d prefer not to drop $700 on a scanner for a single system.

Thanks for your thoughts and input.
Mike

freema22

Feed Provider
As a test, I got an SDR setup running using these instructions on my regular PC: SDRTrunk The FREE P25 Police Scanner! Windows and Linux Tutorial - YouTube

What a difference! I'm sitting here at my PC, with the feed running in the background, with 2 different scanners running right next to me off of the same antenna, and my PC is decoding 100X more traffic than the traditional scanners. I'm flabbergasted at the difference in performance. I think I just saved $700!

Thanks team!
Mike

As a test, I got an SDR setup running using these instructions on my regular PC: SDRTrunk The FREE P25 Police Scanner! Windows and Linux Tutorial - YouTube

What a difference! I'm sitting here at my PC, with the feed running in the background, with 2 different scanners running right next to me off of the same antenna, and my PC is decoding 100X more traffic than the traditional scanners. I'm flabbergasted at the difference in performance. I think I just saved $700!

Thanks team!
Mike
Can you explain this in a new person term?

Im looking to listen to Macomb county and a few other things and I was going to get a sds100 scanner but you are saying you are getting better results on your pc?

freema22

Feed Provider
Can you explain this in a new person term?

Im looking to listen to Macomb county and a few other things and I was going to get a sds100 scanner but you are saying you are getting better results on your pc?

I had not yet purchased the SDS200. If you follow the steps in the video, it will get you up and running. You can even monitor 2 talkgroups simultaneously on the right and left channels on your PC.

The biggest surprise is how clear the audio is. Much more crisp than through either my WS-1065 or WS-1080

ChrisABQ

Now, in addition to SDRTrunk, download and install Trunking Recorder ( https://www.scannerbox.us/TrunkingRecorder/BETA Trunking Recorder Installer.msi and go BEYOND anything a scanner can do.
SDRTrunk is capable of recording all TG's and Trunking Recorder will play all recordings in the order they are received. You won't miss anything. You can create favorite lists, because it has its own webserver, you can play it on other computers in your house or even securely over the internet on your phone anywhere in the world. It's another free program, it will change everything. It's also relatively easy to setup. Trunking Recorder - Recording audio from trunked radio systems monitored by Unitrunker and SDRTrunk (go down page for area about SDRTrunk). Have fun!

Ubbe

Most of the sites are simulcast that are difficult to monitor using a Whistler scanner, or any scanner besides Unidens SDS100/200. Using a $10 SDR dongle receiver makes it possible to receive using I/Q demodulation, the same as SDS scanners use as they have a similar SDR receiver chip, to monitor simulcast sites with full quality audio that Whistler scanners cannot do.

/Ubbe

Most of the sites are simulcast that are difficult to monitor using a Whistler scanner, or any scanner besides Unidens SDS100/200. Using a $10 SDR dongle receiver makes it possible to receive using I/Q demodulation, the same as SDS scanners use as they have a similar SDR receiver chip, to monitor simulcast sites with full quality audio that Whistler scanners cannot do.

/Ubbe
So you are saying I can pick up the same stuff as a sds100 with a $10 side dongle receiver?

Ubbe

So you are saying I can pick up the same stuff as a sds100 with a $10 side dongle receiver?
Yes, but a SDS scanner has more options and features for real scanner work than what PC programs has manage so far to produce. But receive wise they are at the same level. If you only monitor a couple of systems you can get a SDR dongle for each system and monitor in parallel and not miss a thing, at a very low cost. But it is usually more difficult to select and unselect TG's and service types and also do avoids using PC programs, as they lack most of the features that you get when using a SDS100/200 scanner.

/Ubbe

avaloncourt

You can but the $10 dongle is going to require a notable amount of effort on your part. I started out monitoring digital with an RTL-SDR and graduated to an SDS100 and 200. Yes, that's about $1300 difference in price but it's effortless now.

guruuno

Searching, I see this discussion; so I'm asking if with a SDS200 I DO NOT need to buy or setup a RTL2832U dongle because the scanner has the capability built in? If so, then what are the procedures to follow to get the results as shown in the YouTube video
, or do I not need to use 'Universal Trunker, etc. as referenced ( DSDPlus Fastlane, using FMP24 to follow P25 trunk system (Single SDr dongle) )
I've purchased ProScan, got the SDS200E but maybe I'm expecting too much?

I've installed the DSD+ 1.101 software as referenced, and get what is shown in the attached screenshot:
DSDPlus.png

Last edited:

rrobinso84

Premium Subscriber
Not exactly sure what your question is, but I have been thinking along these lines recently. I got both an SDS200 and two rtr-sdr dangles, and dsd+ fast lane. I just now got both dongles running simultaneously on two nearby P25 systems. And guess what? I'm hearing MUCH MORE with the dangles than the scanner. Parking on a cc and letting dsd+ control the receivers is very much like the behavior of a scanner, especially if it is a busy system with lots of talk groups.
Your SDS will decode P25 out of the box.
This experience proves to me the old adage, "the less you scan, the more you hear." And I'm learning to appreciate how having more receivers much narrowly focused helps you track all the action!

Dog

Searching, I see this discussion; so I'm asking if with a SDS200 I DO NOT need to buy or setup a RTL2832U dongle because the scanner has the capability built in? If so, then what are the procedures to follow to get the results as shown in the YouTube video
, or do I not need to use 'Universal Trunker, etc. as referenced ( DSDPlus Fastlane, using FMP24 to follow P25 trunk system (Single SDr dongle) )
I've purchased ProScan, got the SDS200E but maybe I'm expecting too much?

I've installed the DSD+ 1.101 software as referenced, and get what is shown in the attached screenshot:
View attachment 135716
I am not positive yet hopefully someone can answer both out questions. I haven't used DSD+ in years but does it currently decode phase 2?
Middlesex County, New Jersey uses a phase 2 system.

Here is the system information you are trying to listen to. I assume anyway. Some or all may be encrypted (not listenable from any scanner.)

rrobinso84

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Current fast lane version recognizes the TDMA Slot 1 and 2 positions in P25 Phase 2. The frequency table display shows each it encounters.

Reactions: Dog

Ubbe

You'll need to set which audio devices that DSD should use. First the SDR dongle needs to output it's audio to the VB cable input. If you use SDR# you set that in Audio/Output. Then you tell DSD to listen to the VB output, that's device #2, so start DSDplus by dsdplus -i2

/Ubbe

rrobinso84

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Current fast lane version recognizes the TDMA Slot 1 and 2 positions in P25 Phase 2. The frequency table display shows each it encounters.
Here's an example of the frequency display list. Note the "-1" and "-2" designations on the Phase 2 frequencies. All of this gets built by DSD+FL simply by tuning to the "CC" frequency and letting it run a while:
Screenshot_20230203_220734_Chrome.jpg