SDS100/SDS200: Scanner port doesnt connect to sentinal - any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
SDS100 doesnt connect to Sentinal (scanner not found).

The scanner plugs in and runs/powers off the PC (even with no battery) so the cable and PC USB are fine and also the connection to the scanner.

If I take out the sdcard and put in sd slot on PC Sentinal finds the info no problem. But trying to read via cable the radio is not found.

Am I missing any scanner settings (like the older scanners to mess with the baud rate)?

Tried a clear user data & settings reset. Is there any full reset like the HOLD 2 9 of older scanners?

Another SDS connects in seconds to sentinal no problem
I switched the SD card from other radio but the subject radio still doesnt connect (rules out SD card issue)

latest firmware in the radio. Hopefully something simple im missing

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Does the good SDS use the Same USB cable as the one that's not working?
Some cables are power only and don't have the data wires in them but if you are using the same cable and one SDS works and the other does not, that would rule that out.

Do you get the Press E to enter Mass Storage Mode prompt on the SDS 100 screen when you plug the bad SDS in?

For mass storage mode and working with Sentinel, no baud rate settings are used as the scanner is basically acting as an expensive card reader.
If the cable works in one SDS but not the other, it sounds like a bad USB socket on the SDS most likely.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
If the SAME cable works on one SDS100 and not another (as you state above) - you probably have a bad USB jack on the problem SDS100.

Look carefully at the USB port on the radio. Get a magnifier if needed. Are all the pins there and aligned properly? (they are known to break/bend).

If all pins are there/aligned properly, I'd still try another cable to be sure, but you may be sending that 100 to Uniden repair.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Do you get the Press E to enter Mass Storage Mode prompt on the SDS 100 screen when you plug the bad SDS in?

If the cable works in one SDS but not the other, it sounds like a bad USB socket on the SDS most likely.

Thanks for the replies.... I do NOT get the press E mass storage prompt on the one scanner at all... simply like its not there.
Yet it charges/runs off power cable.

thanks the usb socket/pins is possibly the issue. I can just pop out the SD card and send put in the PC not a big issue for me. As long as firmware updates can be done in the future (write to SD card on PC but then when putting the card back in and powering on to complete the firmware update)

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like your USB port has an open data line connection...
If and when a firmware update is released... It will update just fine by putting the card back in and powering on...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you can get another SDS to connect with the computer/sentinel, then there must be an issue with the SDS itself. Is it still in warranty so you can send to Uniden for repairs?

Removing the SD card is a viable option for all things, including firmware updates. Some users report the hinged piece that holds the SD card in place can be easily dislodged, so caution is advised.

Status
Not open for further replies.