Scanner programming port

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailagent67

Premium Subscriber
My programming port on my BCD996T is now kind of broke. I was putting in the cord that goes from the PC to the front scanner port; well some small tiny piece fell off.

Now I can't program the scanner.

My question is- can this be replaced if I order a new one from Uniden or ???????

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure but you might be able to use the DB-9 port on the back for programming.

bailagent67

Premium Subscriber
Thank you

Is this cable standard at Walmart or ????

Is there another name for it? Walking into a Office Depot asking about a scanner programming cable will not work with that type of help. Lol.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
First I've never programmed a 996T using the rear port. My gut feeling, however, is a serial port is a serial port. So if I was in your shoes, I'd be tempted to try it. My instincts are saying that the front port is typically used for programming purposes because it is easier to access than the rear, particularly when vehicle mounted.

Unfortunately connecting a serial cable to your computer isn't as easy as it used to be. Few computers these days have the RS-232/DB9 connector. Most likely a USB to RS-232 DB9 adapter is needed. And making it worse, if you use Windows 8, the chipset in this adapter is critical.

Here is the cabling set-up I use to connect my scanner to the rear serial ports on my Uniden scanners (780, 996XT and 536):

1. Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (which has the Prolific PL2303HX D chipset because I have Windows 8).

Amazon.com: Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset): Computers & Accessories

2. Null Modem Adapter (you have to have this)

3. Gender Adapter (may or may not need this depending upon the ends of the Serial Cable)

4. Serial Cable

If time is critical you could check your local Radio Shack store. They may have most of these things. (Just be sure if you are using Windows 8, the USB to Serial adapter has the HXD chipset).

Also, when you use a USB to Serial Adapter, there are drivers that you must install prior to its use.

I'm not that great of a computer hardware "guru", but I was able to get this to work with little effort.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
You know Uniden can fix that broken port? my port on my 396T needed to be replaced and they did it for a flat $49.00 charge. Pretty reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.