Scanner programming software question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I'm still pretty new to the scanning world. I'm thinking of buying the new Uniden BCT15X scanner at scannermaster.com and they offer the ARCXT PRO software at a discount if I purchase it at the same time as the scanner. My question is... Does anyone know of any alternatives to this software that has the capabilities but cost less? Or is the programming software for scanners over rated and not worth their money? I don't mind putting in freqs. one at a time by hand, but I was thinking it would be REALLY nice to have a 'live' database that you can work in without having to have a stack of papers for each county/town that I listen to.

Also correct me if I'm wrong on how the software actually works. Thanks for any and all help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Do yourself a favor - just starting off I'd use FreeScan - it's freeware and you won't lose anything by trying it. Our wiki has the User Manual so you can check it out before you download it. With your premium sub, you will be able to download data from the database here. Note that anything in blue is a link

You can check out the ARC XT and ProScan packages later, once you've gotten your feet wet.

73 Mike

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
Scanner software is not overrated. Some will disagree, but I think the new scanners are too difficult to program without the benefit of software. At a minimum, it saves a lot of time.

The top scanner software programs are ProScan, ARC-XT, and FreeScan. I have all 3 and prefer/recommend ProScan. I like the UI and feature set the best. That being said, you can download all of these and try them before you make your final decision.

One of the features I like about the software packages is the ability to download systems from the RadioReference database. While this requires a premium subscription to RadioReference, it is well worth it. Note: all 3 software packages can download from RadioReference.

jobes

Feed Provider
Even better become a broadcaster for your area and get the premium subscription for free!

One of the features I like about the software packages is the ability to download systems from the RadioReference database. While this requires a premium subscription to RadioReference, it is well worth it. Note: all 3 software packages can download from RadioReference.

Status
Not open for further replies.