scanner programs on 'netbooks'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
I'm thinking about buying one of those 'notebook' laptops. is it possible to download a scanning program and hook the scanner up to it?
my Bearcat 898T screen stopped working. want to hook up to a computer to see screen and keep log.

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
If the scanner program works on the OS the netbook has. Yes.
I love my Toshiba NB205. Has XP-pro running and battery life of +8 hrs running a
DStar program and UI-View APRS.

Not sure if your program will run on Win7, they are still netbooks with XP out there.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I use my Asus eeePC 1000HE netbook for scanner related stuff all the time - even for programming my fire department's Motorola and Kenwood pro radios. Getting software onto it is as easy as either downloading it or transferring over a local area network, or, if you have software on CD, copying the CD to a USB flash drive via another computer first. I use the Belkin F5U409 USB to serial adapter to provide a serial port for those devices which I don't have USB cables for (older scanners, and my Motorola radios/radio interface box), and it works just fine.

The only thing that might cause you grief is that the screen is 1024x600, not 1024x768. Some software packages will look weird on the screen (or require you to scroll to see the full height of the screen).

n5ims

One thing not yet mentioned is that some of the netbooks run Linux, not a version of Windows. If you make sure that your netbook runs an OS supported by your software you shouldn't have issues. If your software only supports Windows XP and your netbook comes with Linux, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, you may have issues. While you may get it to run under Vista or Windows 7, it may not be supported by your software company.

As will all upgrades, if a certain piece of software is important to you, verify it will be supported under the new environment.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
The only thing that might cause you grief is that the screen is 1024x600, not 1024x768. Some software packages will look weird on the screen (or require you to scroll to see the full height of the screen).
I use a LG X110 perfect with my 296, 996, and 15. Sent a few bugs into Bob at Pro-Scan to do with the screen height and he di some tweaks that fixed hte issues.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
As others have said, yes you can.

I almost exclusively use my Acer Aspire One netbook (Windows XP OS) for everything nowadays, and that includes scanner programs. ARC500, ARC XT and FreeScan all run with no problems. The trial version of Win500 worked just fine as well.

SCPD

QRT
If the OS is any version of Windows, Most likely NO problems with it, Other OS's ?? it's trial & error.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
thankx for all the info. I ordered a cheap notebook wi a Windows (ALMOST bought one wi Linux but backed off; glad I did).
my bearcat has a nine-in pc interface; not sure if the notebook has a nine-pin so ordered a usb/nine pin cable same time.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
no luck. the notebook runs Windows CE. connected wi usb cable; the computers won't acknowledge each other. tried to start a network, said I have to make a disk and run in both comps, which I can't. put the program in a thumb drive; the notebook won't run the program 'needs application' or something. it should open with Wordpad but the CE doesn't give you an Open With option, just Open. can't get internet with land line. said was wi-fi ready but it needs some sort of wireless attatchment.
think I could get an external disk drive and connect that with a usb? I'm this==close to sending it back as useless.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
no luck. the notebook runs Windows CE. connected wi usb cable; the computers won't acknowledge each other. tried to start a network, said I have to make a disk and run in both comps, which I can't. put the program in a thumb drive; the notebook won't run the program 'needs application' or something. it should open with Wordpad but the CE doesn't give you an Open With option, just Open. can't get internet with land line. said was wi-fi ready but it needs some sort of wireless attatchment.
think I could get an external disk drive and connect that with a usb? I'm this==close to sending it back as useless.
and, no, it doesn't have a non-pin interface.

ampulman

Re: Netbooks

All of the ads that I've seen on TV, show a NB with a (I'll call it a widgit) attached for connection to a network (Verizon, etc.) to which, one subscribes.

Besides the above, do any (most, all) NBs have traditional WIFI capability?

Amp

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
All of the ads that I've seen on TV, show a NB with a (I'll call it a widgit) attached for connection to a network (Verizon, etc.) to which, one subscribes.

Besides the above, do any (most, all) NBs have traditional WIFI capability?

Amp
WI-FI is pretty much standard on all NB's and Laptops now, as is Bluetooth. Many wireless providers have units with the "Widget" built right in also. They promote them with a data plan.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
and, no, it doesn't have a non-pin interface.

Return it and get a Netbook with Windows XP. I have seen dozens of these at CostCo, Sam's Club etc. for under $300 (Got one for my wife last year). Most radio programming software doesn't work with CE.

I got a Lenovo IdeaPad from a class I am in at NU and it runs all the ARCxxx products, Moto RSS, PRO96Com and other programs with no problem.

I use a USB-Serial converter for some radios (Moto, Kenwood) and straight USB cables (Uniden and GRE) for others. The battery lasts for hours.

I have an external CD-ROM drive, but I actually use USB thumb drives more often, unless I can DL the software from the network or Internet.

Almost all Netbooks come with WiFi, but not all come with BlueTooth, if you need BlueTooth then be sure yours has it.

If you need wide-area Internet service from Verizon or other carriers you can get Netbooks with built-in 3G modems and save some money on hardware. Remember though that this would usually tie you in to a 2 year contract at $60 per month or so. I would suggest that if this is important to you to get a USB 3G modem instead, this way you can use it with any computer, not just the NetBook.

Astrak

Windows CE is just a core OS method for running on lower kernel and memory than regular desktop Windows, it's meant for pocket PC processors ARM etc and won't work with programs meant for PC's unless they also have a mobile version. You must have bought an old netbook or PDA, you have to have something with an AMD or Intel processor and runs Windows XP or a desktop version of Windows not a pocket PC version to run these types of software.

Status
Not open for further replies.