Scanner purchase+antenna purchase=$400-$600 total!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristaaronw

Best digital encryption scanner?
So I live in the Willamette valley(Salem, Portland, and Eugene Oregon area), and I want to invest my hard earned money in the best all-around scanner I can buy for these areas. My main focus of scanning will be local police [which are as of fairly recently now encrypted:( ] So again the main focus of radio will be public safety stations in the Marion county Oregon area. However, I will also be listening to Lane county Oregon, Linn County,Polk county, multnomah county, clackamas county, Washington county and sometimes yamhill county. As for local police encryption(Marion county; Salem, Stayton, Aumsville, Turner, Marion, and Brooks/Woodburn areas). I think I can get through to trunking stations with Motorola based, and Apco (?)... My question for radio reference is what brand and type or model scanner should I invest my cash into? I have about $400-$600 to spend. And I wouldn’t be opposed to investing in an external antenna of some medium size (medium difficulty of building as well. Thank you all for the tips and suggestions! I don’t want to buy a scanner and then just end up never using it because I can’t hear anything, also I’m familiar with setting up analog trunking protocals. I’ve setup several analog trunking scanners! Radio shack analogs and radio shack iScan object-orientated type scanners. I’m ready to take my scanning complexity and abilities to the next level! Digitally encrypted trunked
Communications and tapping in to the ‘public safety’officers that are out here listening to us for “our” protection, RIGHT!
Thank you all so much,
AaronCrist

Last edited by a moderator:

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
So I will make this a math statement like your subject line:

'main area of interest is police' + 'local police is all encrypted' = 'save your $400-$600'

As mentioned above, no scanner will decrypt transmissions. Also, that is a mighty long wish list of counties so I hope you intend on being mobile and traveling through those counties and not expect to receive all that traffic from one location.

spacellamaman

I’m ready to take my scanning complexity and abilities to the next level! Digitally encrypted trunked
Communications and tapping in to the ‘public safety’officers that are out here listening to us for “our” protection, RIGHT!
Thank you all so much,
AaronCrist

Atta boy! And don't forget to post your technique for crackin that pesky ole' encryption here for the benefit of the greater public good.

Don't listen to those Nay-Sayers, they're all a bunch of hacks, no-nuthins, and probably Whigs.

You go get 'em Tiger!!!111

(BTW I've got a BC75XLT that could be very helpful that, while I would miss it terribly, would be willing to part with it for $375, shipping included. Since its for the greater good I might even be talked into letting go of a PRO-50 for a tad less.)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So I live in the Willamette valley(Salem, Portland, and Eugene Oregon area), and I want to invest my hard earned money in the best all-around scanner I can buy for these areas. My main focus of scanning will be local police [which are as of fairly recently now encrypted:( ] So again the main focus of radio will be public safety stations in the Marion county Oregon area. However, I will also be listening to Lane county Oregon, Linn County,Polk county, multnomah county, clackamas county, Washington county and sometimes yamhill county. As for local police encryption(Marion county; Salem, Stayton, Aumsville, Turner, Marion, and Brooks/Woodburn areas). I think I can get through to trunking stations with Motorola based, and Apco (?)... My question for radio reference is what brand and type or model scanner should I invest my cash into? I have about $400-$600 to spend. And I wouldn’t be opposed to investing in an external antenna of some medium size (medium difficulty of building as well. Thank you all for the tips and suggestions! I don’t want to buy a scanner and then just end up never using it because I can’t hear anything, also I’m familiar with setting up analog trunking protocals. I’ve setup several analog trunking scanners! Radio shack analogs and radio shack iScan object-orientated type scanners. I’m ready to take my scanning complexity and abilities to the next level! Digitally encrypted trunked

Thank you all so much,
AaronCrist
There is NO scanner that can decode & monitor encrypted communications, and there never will be, as that is against federal law.

Eugene PD is on this system:

Eugene PD, as well as well as your Lane County sheriff, are fully encrypted. Linn County S.O. is on this system as well, and for now, is not flagged as encrypted in the database. Of the smaller cities, some are encrypted, & some not.

Salem is listed as being on this system:

But their PD is encrypted. Fire shows to be clear, as does Marion S.O. Dispatch. Salem is also listed as being rebroadcast on the statewide system:

However, PD is encrypted there as well, as are most of the various other law enforcement agencies that use this system. Salem is about 60 miles from you. Unless you have a really good, probably directional antenna, mounted high, you might have a slim chance of hearing them, but I would not bet any money on that.

Portland is a little over 100 miles away. There again, range probably prevents any serious hope of reception.

As the others have noted, if your main interest is the law enforcement agencies in your initial post, save your money. Most of the fire departments that are realistically in range for you are in the clear, but not the law enforcement agencies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber

Thank you all so much,
AaronCrist
Hey Aaron, my County police just went incryptid also, I'm not prepared to spend $600 but if you do find something in the $400 range could you please PM me and let me know. :LOL: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: .

Just kidding oh, you're going to get a lot of ribbing here, my opinion is everything they just said LOL.

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
I live in the area, Marion County Sheriff and OSP can still be heard on VHF. Capitol Mall OSP still on VHF. Salem PD encrypted, Keizer PD will be soon. Most all other smaller towns/cities in Marion and Polk County are still on VHF so you should still be able to monitor them. A Uniden BC996p2 base radio does nicely in this area, both on VHF, UHF and 800 TRS/Oregon State Radio Project system. It's easy to download database info from Radio Reference directly to the scanner too.

Picking up Portland Fire and Rescue or Multnomah County Sheriff from Salem is stretching it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.