Scanner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant888

I was always curious about this, do all scanners have the capability of displaying names of the frequency (example: "Fire Station" instead of the number version of the frequency (example:888.888)

Sorry if this got confusing.
Thanks.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Actually no the cheapest do not have alpha tagging. Or tone displays. The entry level scanners are conventional analog only and have basic numeric displays. Secondary level introduces alpha-numeric displays and tone decode as well as analog trunking. Then you step up to digital trunkers and then flagships that add extra specialized features like DMR EDACS ProVoice and now some also have NXDN

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That's called "Alpha Tagging" and it has been around for quite a number of years. I think the first came out in 1997.

Not every scanner has done this. The "lower end" scanners displayed only frequency.

Just guessing, but if it is a computer programmable scanner, chances are good that it can do alpha tagging of frequencies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The first alpha tagging tone decoding I remember were the PRO-92 and 2067 from RS made by GRE.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Scanner display

The BC125AT will display the name of the service, frequency, type of emission, channel number, and bank. It is a good choice for analog and aircraft monitoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.