Scanner racks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjyoung

I am looking for photos and/or examples of indoor racks for scanners. Scanner Master has a few metals ones, but I am looking for wooden ones. Apparently there was a gentleman who used to make and sell them. This is something I am considering doing, and am looking for ideas.

Thanks,
Bob

majoco

Stirrer
Not very pretty, but I made a 'rack' from anold large speaker cabinet found at a thrift store. The front of the cabinet had been ripped and the speaker cone was torn, but it was $2!

With a 2" hole saw, made openings in the back for cables. With some 1" square timber and bits of MDF from the junk box added a shelf for bracing after some measurement to make sure most things would fit.

Screwed a couple of power multi-outlet boxes on the back, hid the wall-warts and larger power supplies behind.

Works well and is flexible enough to add or remove items.

RadioRack.jpg

Like I said, it ain't pretty!:roll:

rjyoung

Scanner Rack

It may be rough, but it works! I hadn't taken into consideration the larger pieces of radio equipment. Maybe something that is modular. Thanks, and happy scanning:)

NYRHKY94

Bob:

My neighbor made this one for me as a favor. I wanted something that would hold 6 radios and sit on top of my office/shack furniture. He stained it to match the furniture as well.

Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Bob:

My neighbor made this one for me as a favor. I wanted something that would hold 6 radios and sit on top of my office/shack furniture. He stained it to match the furniture as well.

That is nice!!!

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber

SCPD

QRT
Have you ever thought about making and selling them?

Nah, Its not like I couldn't use the money. Though this is such a cool project. You won't need much to construct, and heck you can use an exacto blade to cut it!

You'll like it a whole lot more if you make it yourself too!

W2NJS

A while back I decided to rack up my current radios. On eBay there are several people who sell those carpeted "DJ" type racks for pretty reaxonable prices. I got one that has eight rack units and I was able to install:

1 Waber Power Strip (1RU)
2 Spectras in a 2RU rackmount from Dick Robinson
1 Blank panel (1RU)
2 XTLs in a second 2RU rackmount from Dick Robinson
1 Ventilated 2RU panel at the bottom, behind which reside an Astron PS and various speakers.

I'd be glad to send anyone who wants to see this thing a photo if you PM me your email address.

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Some time back I also "racked up" my radios. Things have moved around a bit since these photos were taken, but you'll get the idea.

NEWSHACK7.jpg

RightConsole.jpg

LeftConsole.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

R71andR7100.jpg

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Nice

Bob:

I must admit, that is one fine-looking setup there, buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.