scanner/radio antenna splitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sragen

I like to minimize the amount of antenna's displayed on the vehicle (its a personal preference). Is it possible to use an operating 100 watt VHF radio antenna and "split" it to the scanner (996T/996XT) without causing significant loses or even damage to any equipment?

Currently the scanner is hooked up to an "in car" mobile antenna I have through scanner master. While I think the reception is better than hoped for, I can't think moving the antenna outside would certainly be better.

reedeb

Never hook a scanner to a transmitting antenna it could wreck the scanner when you key up I have used the auto radio antenna on my scanner with excellent results [not sure on digital signals how this will work].
Or just get used to the idea of several antennas.

sragen

Never hook a scanner to a transmitting antenna it could wreck the scanner when you key up I have used the auto radio antenna on my scanner with excellent results [not sure on digital signals how this will work].
Or just get used to the idea of several antennas.

Thanks, it"s not a deal breaker, I just don't like the porcupine look. As it is I have separate VHF/UHF systems installed and just trying to be efficient. It is what it is, but I'm not an expert so I thought I'd ping the knowledge on the board in case I'm missing something.

Ky396t

i don't really like to have all those antennas on my car either. I recently bought a 2012 Mitsubishi Gilant with a radio antenna intergrated into the rear window and was waundering if i could use a splitter to share the factory antenna with my scanner and if it would get good reception? any help would be apprecieated

majoco

Stirrer
Sragen - a reasonably skilled tech in a radio shop (NOT RatShack :) ) should be able to make a box that will disconnect and ground the scanner antenna input when you press the "talk" button. Otherwise you could get him to add a socket to the back of the VHF transceiver that is connected to the antenna changeover relay - either way the scanner will be disconnected when you talk.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I like to minimize the amount of antenna's displayed on the vehicle (its a personal preference). Is it possible to use an operating 100 watt VHF radio antenna and "split" it to the scanner (996T/996XT) without causing significant loses or even damage to any equipment?

Currently the scanner is hooked up to an "in car" mobile antenna I have through scanner master. While I think the reception is better than hoped for, I can't think moving the antenna outside would certainly be better.

A old trick to minimize the number of antennas visible on a car with a shelf behind the rear window would be to use the steel in the trunk under the package shelf to mount a quarter wave vhf or uhf nmo roof mount. This works great as long as you don't have a wire antenna in the rear glass or defroster grid.
Some federal leo cars used this trick in the 80's to disguise the antennas.

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.