Scanner Radio Questions

firecopmedic

I listen to the Washington County, Maplewood, and North Saint Paul Public Safety scanner on the app. I've noticed whoever is broadcasting it does not list Saint Paul PD however they seem to take over that scanner.

They have their own channel/scanner already being broadcast which is excellent. I'm trying to reach out to the person broadcasting the one I listed above to to see if he would be willing to remove them from his list. Can anyone help explain how I would request that?

I work private security patrol in a lot of areas of Washington County so I depend on that scanner to give me a heads up if I'm about to walk into something. It's already hapenned a couple times where I've been listening to something going on and Saint Paul PD took over his scanner. I nearly walked into a shooting.

Any help would be good.

firecopmedic

If you click on "report a problem" on the feed, it will give you an option to send a message to the feed provider. Your best bet would probably be to buy your own scanner and put what you need on there.

I have a scanner at home but unfortunately I'm not able to be mobile with anything or put it online. It actually needs to be updated also because I'm pretty sure it has some older frequencies and such.

If there are specific things which you want to hear or do not want to hear and you need to rely on it for your job your best bet is to get your own scanner.

Overall not a huge deal. I appreciate the responses from you guys. I thought that if I reached out to whoever's broadcasting it maybe they may consider removing Saint Paul from their feed.

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
I have a scanner at home but unfortunately I'm not able to be mobile with anything or put it online. It actually needs to be updated also because I'm pretty sure it has some older frequencies and such.

What model of scanner do you have? I'd be happy to update it for you.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you checked into the Broadcastify Calls platform? It is kind of a "build your own scanner" thing, though you have to be a premium member to access it.

You can select which talkgroups you want to monitor and you are less at the mercy of a feed provider. (You can hold on a given talkgroup, build your own scan list, etc.) As with any scanner feed, someone "has to feed the beast" however, and someone has to include those talkgroups of interest to you.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have an updated programming file for Washington County. If you are using programming software, I can attach the file so that you can get your PRO-106 working. I have ARC500, Win500, and PSREdit500. You will need a programming cable to upload the file to your scanner.

firecopmedic

Have you checked into the Broadcastify Calls platform? It is kind of a "build your own scanner" thing, though you have to be a premium member to access it.

You can select which talkgroups you want to monitor and you are less at the mercy of a feed provider. (You can hold on a given talkgroup, build your own scan list, etc.) As with any scanner feed, someone "has to feed the beast" however, and someone has to include those talkgroups of interest to you.

Well I signed up for that for a year but have no clue how to use it from my phone. Maybe it will be easier to do from a laptop. Right now I have my scanner with me but it doesn't pick up the same things as the Washington County feed on the app for some reason.

I am working until 0600 so if anyone is bored and wouldn't mind helping feel free to give me a call at 612-910-3339.

firecopmedic

I have an updated programming file for Washington County. If you are using programming software, I can attach the file so that you can get your PRO-106 working. I have ARC500, Win500, and PSREdit500. You will need a programming cable to upload the file to your scanner.

firecopmedic

That would be awesome.....thx!! Feel free to email it to me when you have a chance. firecopmedic@yahoo.com Now I just need to find the correct cable and best place to get it.

firecopmedic

What programming software are you using? The file is different for each one.

I actually don't have any. Not even sure where to look for it or how much it costs to put on a computer. That's where I lean on this community to educate me. Which I greatly appreciate!!

tvengr

Well Known Member
There are 3 software programs available for your scanner. The two that are presently supported are ARC500 and PSREdit500 and they both are excellent programs. Personally, I use ARC500 since I grew up using Butel Software for all of my other scanners. ARC500 Basic is all you need to program your scanner. The Pro version provides additional features such as logging. PSREdit500 can import ARC500 files. I can provide you with a file for either program. Both programs have a free trial period to determine which one you like best. Here is a link for ARC500 Basic: Butel ARC500 Police Scanner Radio Programming Software Download (scannermaster.com) Here is a link for PSREdit500: PSREdit500 - Configuration Editor for the WS-1040, WS-1065, PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, and PRO-197 Scanners

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here are Washington County files for both software programs. Save the attached zipped files to your computer and extract. Open the extracted ARC500 file (GR5 extension) with ARC500. Open the extracted PSREdit500 file with PSREdit500. When you receive the cable, go to the Scanner tab in ARC500 and Upload to Scanner or go to the Radio tab in PSREdit500 and Upload to Radio. You will need to install a driver for the cable to work. The cable plugs into the PC/IF jack on the scanner. Here are the scan lists for the 2 programs:

SCAN LISTS:
1. WashCo PW/Events
2. WashCo Common
3. WashCo Emerg Ops
4. WashCo Fire
5. WashCo Loc Fire
6. WashCo Law
7. WashCo Local Law
8. WashCo Correctns
9. WashCo PS Common
10. MN State Patrol

Attachments

• Wash Co ARC500.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Wash Co PSREdit.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 0

JethrowJohnson

One problem with using an online feed is that there's a 1-5 min delay, so if something serious happens and you're right there in the area and need a description of the suspect or vehicle then by the time you here it he may have already gone passed you and you didn't notice bc you didn't know what to look for.