Scanner receiving two frequencies at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rentero

I have an Icom Scanner with an SJ-118 antenna. It is tuned to 119.75MHz (Monterrey Approach and Departure). If the squelch is open it receives the signal of a local FM radio station (107.7MHz).

How do I go about filtering that so I can open the squelch a little more to get what I really what I really want to listen (Monterrey ATC)?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

oracavon

Sounds like you just need to put an FM trap between your antenna and your radio. They sell for $5 to $10 at any electronics store. They are used to keep FM radio stations from interfering with TV reception, but they do the same thing for scanners. They normally have F-connectors, so you'll likely need to use some adapters to fit your radio and antenna connectors.

As an example, here is one from Radio Shack: RadioShack FM Trap

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
I have had very good luck with the FM trap that oracavon spoke of. I didn't get any close call hits from aircraft until I installed that. Now I can't have the close call feature on because it goes off all the time. Well worth the $7 it cost to purchase it.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Hopefully that inexpensive solution works for you and your receive doesn't take much of a hit. Low cost solutions are nice.

After you try it and if it doesn't work there are some other options. One is the HPN-30118 combo notch filter. I use it and it's wonderful at blocking two BCB stations that are nearby. There are also the PAR filters which are fantastic as well. Still, I hope the $8 solution works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.