Scanner reception .

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannernutt

This might sound strange but here it goes. I finally figured out what my problem is about my reception on my digital scanner.. I put my scanner near a my window in between my wooden blinds and I can listen to it all day long. Then I mentioned this to a co worker in our engineering dept and a avid ham radio man asked me if I had aluminum siding . I have some around gutters around my house. Does this make sense ? Now that I finally figured out what the problem is. What do you guys suggest I do now since this is a problem. Put a antenna on top of my house ? Thanks

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
An even more likely culprit is aluminium foil backed insulation in outside walls. Yeah, an antenna on the roof is the one rock, two birds approach, no make that three birds. (1) You can put a bigger and better antenna outdoors than you can anywhere inside the house. (2) On the roof is above the shielding building materials afford. (3) Height is might.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Actually a heavy galvanized screen with wires spaced about 1/4" apart which effectively blocks waves longer that 6mm or in other words below 50GHz.

jimvm

I live in a Faraday Cage!

Inside reception is poor at my new house. The windows have a coating that reflects sunlight
to keep inside temps down but they also block radio signals. That and the chicken wire stucco
walls really kill reception. My WWVB clocks, GPS (aluminum backing mylar under roof) and
rubber duck scanners all suffer. The only place with better reception is next to the front door,
which is made out of wood. CCRs prevent outside antennas except satelite types. I use a discone
on a pole tied to a step ladder out in the yard for temporary antenna and that works OK.

73 jim vm

byndhlptom

Antenna

Since they "allow" satalite antennas, find a used one (people almost give them away around here), Insulate the dish from the mount with some nylon washers, hook the center conductor of the coax to it and scan away. Another option is to gut the LNA/feedhorn, add a short 12-18" length of wire sticking straght up, hooking it the the F connector on the now gutted LNA. Lots of ways the make a disguise antenna fron a satalite feed horn..... From a distance, a wire whip is almost invisible, especially if painted black

Experiment!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.