Scanner Recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerking

Well, I guess I'm looking to upgrade to either a mobile or handheld to listen to the CSP, Can anyone speak from expierience on a good "cost effective" scanner?
Thanks
Rich

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
"Cost Effective" Does Not Exist!

Hello There!
Rich, when it comes to listening to the state, there is no cost effective way to do it! DIgital 800 MHZ Apco-25 is not cheap! Maybe if you get a used digital scanner like a pro-96 portable or something it will get you by for now somewhat inexpensively. However with rebanding taking place soon on the CSP, you will need a scanner that is Flashable,reprogramable for the new configurations. Again, search this site under rebanding which has all but been mauled over by the continuous discussions. I would recomend to you that you save your dough and get one of the newer scanners. UNIDEN,GRE are both great and have just released updates to their digital models. If you get used for now,you are throwing good money after bad. Unless you find a good deal on one of the newer scanners on the used market! It is after all, HAMFEST season.

Manny

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Well, if you want to listen to CSP which is Digital, you are looking at a choice of three $500 scanners.

Go with a GRE PSR-500, you wont be wasting your money that way.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Sorry DAn!
I have to respectfuly disagree with you! While I am NOT knocking GRE, Getting a BCD-996/396 Would NEVER be wasting anyones money! I have a 996 for example and I have not had 1 single problem with it, CSP or other P-25 digital Towns!

Manny

jb872033

Related to scannernutt's statement...are there any hamfests in the CT area? lookin to get to one and dont really know of any...thanks for any info

JB

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
scanernutt said:
Hello There!
However with rebanding taking place soon on the CSP, you will need a scanner that is Flashable,reprogramable for the new configurations
Manny
Not true, the GRE Pro-96 and 2096 are currently working on rebanded systems in CA and AL. Wayne_H developed these tables for the 20(96) scanners.

Edit: the real negatives for those two scanners is they will not trunk track 385 or 764 MHz systems.

Last edited:

jb872033

Sweet...thanks a lot!! im gonna check them out...i have been studying up for a HAM test...figured ill check those out for a present to myself when/if i pass!! thanks a lot

JB

jb872033

I have also heard good things about the 996 and when i upgrade that will probably be what i am going to get...is it rebanding friendly or at least re-flashable?

Status
Not open for further replies.