scanner recommendation Arlington Hts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ussiel

Wanting to get back into scanning. I have not kept up with all the new digital issues.

I live in Arlington Heights (60004) and I am interested in buying a scanner that I can operate through my computer. I work in front of the computer a lot and would like to be able to listen in the background while I work.

My initial interest are simple; fire/police/emergency etc., local and surrounding areas (I used to enjoy the Chicago freqs as well). But I tend to get obsessive and would like to have something that is capable of doing whatever I may become interested in. Also, I may want to be able to use the scanner in my car.

If anybody can help me out with local info digital, encrypted etc. I would appreciate it.

My initial searches seemed to point to either pc-600 or bcd996t.

thanx

N9JIG

Sheriff
You would do well with either the PSR-600 or the BCD996T. They both have the digital capabilities needed for AH PD and FD as well as the other NWCD communities and the state StarCom21 system.

If you travel around the area a lot the 996 has a GPS connection that allows you to turn on and off Systems automatically as you travel. You can also use the 996 for Fire Tone Out (not at the same time as regular scanning though).

Some people think the PSR600 has better audio, especially on digital systems.

Come to the next CARMA meeting the first weekend in May and you can see each in operation. If you can't wait that long then go thru the various Uniden and GRE forums and read the various posts.

Enjoy!

ussiel

portable vs base

Thank you for the reply.

Is there much of a performance difference between the psr-500 and psr-600? Are they both capable of being operated and programmed by a computer?

thanx
jim

N9JIG

Sheriff
The PSR500 and PSR600 are very similar in operation, the main difference is that the 500 is a handheld and the 600 is a desktop-mobile. They both use the same programming cables and software packages.

There are a variety of software applications for the PSR500 and 600, including Butel, StarrSoft and others.

Look at the GRE forums here at RadioReference, they have dozens of threads on the various applications and the capabilities.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.