Scanner recommendation for a newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ksan

Hey everybody!

I am new to the amateur radio world. After listening to many scanner streams on the net ive decided to acquire my own.

I live in Montreal CDN-NDG. Im especially interested in police frequency but the more variety in coverage the better of course. I understand i'll be needing digital, trunked scanners now that the police is planning to/or already using digital. I realize digital is more expensive but it seems like this is where a lot of radio users are heading so..

I'd like to have something under $300 ideally, and portable. Any recommendations? Im ready to buy used as well.

I thought of getting something like the BC346XT from Uniden since it seems so common.

I realize posts like this come back a lot (I already read some of the other posts like the one from Kiwi: http://forums.radioreference.com/quebec/229986-help-choose-radio-montreal-county.html) but wanted to get some personnal feedback as i have no idea what im doing.

Thanks!

mtlfirebuff

Feed Provider
Suggestions

My information is that the SPVM as well as SIM will be moving to 700mhz digital P25 trunking in 2013. You need to ensure that the scanner you buy can cover that. I suspect that some or all of the SPVM will be encrypted which means that no scanner will be able to listen in. As to price, a new scanner that meets the above is probably in the $500 range. Base and portable models are about the same price.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
My information is that the SPVM as well as SIM will be moving to 700mhz digital P25 trunking in 2013.

As usual, I'll believe it when I see it. Regardless, SIM would really move again? If true, that would be the 3rd system in 10 years? Seems ... wasteful.

SIMFD2396

As usual, I'll believe it when I see it. Regardless, SIM would really move again? If true, that would be the 3rd system in 10 years? Seems ... wasteful.

well Peter...BELIEVE IT.
it's a done deal..already in the works.. company in Gatineau/Hull has the contract..and a contact of mine at "Centrale" has been involved in the project plans.. it is closer than people want to think..maybe not be in 2013..but VERY EARLY 2014 at the latest.

Encryption has been discussed..BUT for the time being is not in the plans for SIM..
encryption is a 100% go for SPVM though.

Status
Not open for further replies.