Scanner Recommendation For Broward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I'm a professional photographer transitioning from live music to news. I'm looking for a scanner, either handheld or base station. My area, Planation-Coral Springs-Ft. Lauderdale uses APCO P25 Phase II I believe. Can someone recommend a radio or two that I would be able to use here to monitor these channels. I'm not too concerned with cost.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Although the Coral Springs/Fort Lauderdale/Plantation system is Phase II, only Plantation is using TDMA at the moment. However, Broward is in the process of going live and it will full-time TDMA. If you are looking for the best of the best and a scanner, Uniden SDS-200. I highly recommend the Unication G4/G5 as well...not a scanner but can be programmed like one, commercial quality on par with my APX’s and very small and portable.

blackbelter

Then purchase a Unication G4 or G5 which will provide you with flawless coverage , strong audio and tough built. I can monitor an agency almost 30 miles from my QTH using the supplied stubby antenna . There’s no comparisons between consumer grade scanners and a serious professional grade pager .

blackbelter

I would say either with SDS scanners or Unication products , easily is a relative term as their supplied programing softwares requires steps to correctly program them . Having said that there are many on line tutorial to learn from as well the dealers support .

CanesFan95

Is this pager something that a newbie like me can relatively easily get set up and running properly?

No. Radio programming is moderately technical and very time-consuming. For a new person in the hobby, it will take time to learn. But don't worry, it's nothing you can't do. Just be ready to put in some time and learning.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
the programming is not that bad and they are preparing a new software update that allows Radio Reference import, the biggest pain with the Unication is making the zone/channel lists, I was just in Plantation Monday/Tuesday sitting at the Pompano Service plaza, that cell tower (might have been the SLERS Tower) wiped out my SDS200 but the G4 picked up the Sunrise/Plantation/Ft Lauderdale system perfectly

here is a quick Zone/Channel assignment i made up in 10 minutes2020-10-31_22-01-41.png

blackbelter

Not to change the subject . However wx4jcw which FW are you running ?
I am on 1.3 with no issues .
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.