Scanner recommendation for Mid Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

SANDDOLLAR

Recommendation for a scanner for the Mid Michigan area, Ionia County primarily, but will be set up in a vehicle. Coming from a BCD396xt, but feels outdated.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Ionia county is not simulcast, so getting an SDS model really would be unnecessary and expensive. You can get a 325P2 for 1/2 the price and it operates very closely like the 396xt, only user difference is having the FUNC on the keypad rather then on the side and the orange screen.
With the Uniden DMR paid add on you can then tune in radios that are mototrbo DMR.
You could then tune in your Road Commission, plus if you have any interest also mototrbo systems Portland electric, Ionia and Lakewood schools.
Additionally ham radios that use mototrbo, the Greenville DMR repeater that is part of the statewide radio network.

NXDN optional paid add on as well, but NXDN there isnt much use for it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you're using the scanner in a vehicle, then it's going to get used in more than one county, and will need to handle simulcast. SDS100 or SDS200.

Chris0516

Ionia county is not simulcast, so getting an SDS model really would be unnecessary and expensive. You can get a 325P2 for 1/2 the price and it operates very closely like the 396xt, only user difference is having the FUNC on the keypad rather then on the side and the orange screen.
With the Uniden DMR paid add on you can then tune in radios that are mototrbo DMR.
You could then tune in your Road Commission, plus if you have any interest also mototrbo systems Portland electric, Ionia and Lakewood schools.
Additionally ham radios that use mototrbo, the Greenville DMR repeater that is part of the statewide radio network.

NXDN optional paid add on as well, but NXDN there isnt much use for it.
Very well explained. I am in NC, and was thinking getting NXDN/DMR for my 325p2. But I went through the list of NXDN, and DMR systems in NC. The list basically re-affirmed. That I don't need to waste the $ on NXDN, or DMR. Because, The list of those systems. Had listings of things I definitely had no interest(power/energy, local business, and the like) in listening to.

Hit_Factor

Because, The list of those systems. Had listings of things I definitely had no interest(power/energy, local business, and the like) in listening to.

There is so much out there to be discovered. RR listings are far from complete, but undoubtedly the best non-government resource.

The FCC database IS the definitive list. It takes knowledge to understand the data presented. It takes skill to draw out the items of interest.

There are some incredibly interesting NXDN and DMR traffic in my area, and it's not listed on RR.

There are three Nuclear facilities in NC. Listening in on triennial Force on Force exercises is just one example. Each of those sites will also have annual, quarterly, and other drills.

Chris0516

There is so much out there to be discovered. RR listings are far from complete, but undoubtedly the best non-government resource.

The FCC database IS the definitive list. It takes knowledge to understand the data presented. It takes skill to draw out the items of interest.

There are some incredibly interesting NXDN and DMR traffic in my area, and it's not listed on RR.

There are three Nuclear facilities in NC. Listening in on triennial Force on Force exercises is just one example. Each of those sites will also have annual, quarterly, and other drills.
True. But, I only have aviation, local/state/federal law enforcement, EMS, and the military.Where possibly, is a list? Apart from RR?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
True. But, I only have aviation, local/state/federal law enforcement, EMS, and the military.Where possibly, is a list? Apart from RR?
RadioReference only lists systems that have been identified by members, documented, then submitted for inclusion in the database.

On occasion, you might find information on other systems, either on one of the regional forums, or on one of the discussion groups on groups.io that encompass your area.

The Digital Frequency Search page is one source of suggested agencies. Though it's database has not been updated since last August, it is still one source of where to start looking. Just keep in mind that this page will only show you agencies & companies that are licensed to use DMR or NXDN. I have found a number of local entities that ar not in RadioReference, but found on this search site, and are indeed using DMR or NXDN. A good place to start is to look at RadioReference, for a company or agency that is listed, and showing to use conventional channels or maybe an LTR system. But, even though you maybe well within range, you're hearing nothing from them. But they are listed on Digital Frequency Search as being licensed for DMR or NXDN. By using the licensed frequencies for my area, I have found a number of them to actually be on DMR, including most of the local hospitals and major hotels.

No way to know, of course, how many undiscovered systems might be active in your area, and whether any of them are interesting enough to document. Hit Factor's three nuclear facilities are surprising and interesting systems to monitor.

If you already have more than enough public safety and other agencies to monitor, trying to find something on DMR might not interest you right now. You can always go back later & do the upgrade and begin searching for something new. Or, get one of the SDR dongles and software to do your searching at a cost less than that for an upgrade.

Chris0516

Thank you for the FCC suggestion. I will go from there.

SANDDOLLAR

Is a BCD536HP going to be deaf to Kent County due to simulcast? And I recall seeing Clinton County was going away from provoice, any additional word on that? Thanks

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Is a BCD536HP going to be deaf to Kent County due to simulcast? And I recall seeing Clinton County was going away from provoice, any additional word on that? Thanks .
It's not gonna be "deaf" but it will be "hard of hearing." Simulcast is usually a hit or miss proposition. Any one scanner may not be picking up a simulcast broadcast but one 10 feet away will. As they say, it's location, location, location.

While I don't live in Michigan, I spend a lot of time there because of the grandkids. My 436 was barely acceptable, at best. The SDS100 was a winner from day one. On the other hand, my hometown uses simulcast and the 436 seemed to work quite well most of the time. Like I said, it's hit or miss.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
All uniden digital scanners work well for me on Michigan's (MPSCS) simulcast system at my home in Macomb Twp, MI. People don't seem to accept that it's even possible. I'm not claiming this just because I don't have an SDS type scanner or can't afford one. I own an SDS200. I purchase the SDS200 mainly for the larger screen and the network port. Does the SDS200 work better than a BCD996P2, BCD325P2, BCD436HP, or the BCD536HP? Honestly I'm temped to say no. But again I'm sure no one would believe me, so I'll say yes, maybe ever so slightly. I can't explain why but for me that's how it is.

So it's a little misleading to tell people only and SDS scanner will work on MPSCS. In a moving vehicle they will definitely work better I agree. But at home depending on your location as well as the location of the tower sites and the number of sites the earlier generation of Uniden P25 scanners might be all you need.

Hit_Factor

All uniden digital scanners work well for me on Michigan's (MPSCS) simulcast system at my home in Macomb Twp, MI. People don't seem to accept that it's even possible. I'm not claiming this just because I don't have an SDS type scanner or can't afford one. I own an SDS200. I purchase the SDS200 mainly for the larger screen and the network port. Does the SDS200 work better than a BCD996P2, BCD325P2, BCD436HP, or the BCD536HP? Honestly I'm temped to say no. But again I'm sure no one would believe me, so I'll say yes, maybe ever so slightly. I can't explain why but for me that's how it is.

So it's a little misleading to tell people only and SDS scanner will work on MPSCS. In a moving vehicle they will definitely work better I agree. But at home depending on your location as well as the location of the tower sites and the number of sites the earlier generation of Uniden P25 scanners might be all you need.

I agree, an SDS is not required on some of MPSCS. However, for monitoring simulcast areas it's the best choice. Otherwise, setting up a couple of scanners and testing is in order.

The following member is talking about his bcd996p2 and how it won't receive simulcast.

Danged auto correct, trunked is what I was trying to say. I imported Kent county and Ottawa counties in Michigan. Grand rapids has a simulcast, I can't seem to get any of those transmissions. I'm sure something is not set right. I imported using Proscan.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
All uniden digital scanners work well for me on Michigan's (MPSCS) simulcast system at my home in Macomb Twp, MI. People don't seem to accept that it's even possible. I own an SDS200. Does the SDS200 work better than a BCD996P2, BCD325P2, BCD436HP, or the BCD536HP? Honestly I'm temped to say no. But again I'm sure no one would believe me, so I'll say yes, maybe ever so slightly. I can't explain why but for me that's how it is.

So it's a little misleading to tell people only an SDS scanner will work on MPSCS. In a moving vehicle they will definitely work better I agree. But at home depending on your location as well as the location of the tower sites and the number of sites the earlier generation of Uniden P25 scanners might be all you need.

Mentioned similarly in message #3. Yep its easy to say what to get when its not their money.
I cant agree more IMONITOR, at times of out of staters in many threads mention items that while it works this way in their state doesn't always transfer to here and peoples location and towers is the key.

As far as in a moving vehicle, my 396XT performs quite well for many years.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If you're situated in a single area and never budge AND whatever scanner you may be using works for you, don't waste your money on something else. Simulcast is not a problem for some. Hallelujah! That said, it is a problem for many (if not most). As mentioned earlier, my 436 usually did fine for me at home. But, I have a life and travel around just because I can. The SDS100 all but guaranteed me good quality scanner enjoyment. The few problems with the SDS100 notwithstanding, it's worth the money.

charlesgszymanski

Feed Provider
I have a home patrol one and ottawa county switched over last month and i live in eastown in grand rapids and i pick them up like dispatch is in the basement along with the state police from here to detroit so im chomping at the bit for grand rapids and kent county to get with the program

maus92

Premium Subscriber

I believe you. My 536 works well in my office, more or less equivalent to the SDS200 when using the same antenna system. But my office is only a few thousand feet from the nearest simulcast site, while the next closest sites are at least 8 miles away to the east and northwest. When the 536 was in the vehicle, it routinely missed transmissions from the same simulcast system, whereas the SDS200 that replaced it is impeccable. If a person is buying a radio for a fixed use in one location, they need to pay particular attention to the type of system they want to monitor, and the location(s) of the transmit site and its antenna height and orientation. If they are willing to do the research, they might be lucky to find an older technology scanner will likely work at that their specific location. If somebody doesn't want to do the requisite research or needs a mobile option, the SDS radio would be the better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.