Scanner Recommendation - MilAir r-2508 complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyster

Hello, I live in Ridgecrsest, CA and am interested in monitoring MilAir communication in the r-2508 complex. Here's a handbook with lots of information for pilots using this complex:

Some of the bases that use this complex are China Lake NWC (in Ridgecrest), Edwards AFB and others. There is a military training route that runs through this complex and one section called the Jedi Transition is a great place to see low-flying military aircraft. According to information in the handbook, aircraft entering this transition have to broadcast their intent to enter on 315.9 mhz. This is also designated as a low flight level frequency throughout the entire complex, and pilots are encouraged to monitor it while operating there.

I'm just starting to learn about radio frequencies, but I'm not at all comfortable with what I think I know. I'm interested in a handheld set that can monitor military aircraft including the frequency above. I've seen claims that the Uniden BC125AT can monitor military aircraft, but I don't know about specific frequencies. The
BCD325P2 looks like it adds a lot of functionality, but I have no idea if I need this (and the added expense) to do what I want. I'm not at all locked into any brand - I just want to make sure before I purchase that I'm getting something that does what I need and does it well. Any help is certainly appreciated!

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Are you going to beusing your new scanner for things other than MilAir as well? Do you have an extenal antenna that will cover MILAir? The external antenna is critical to get the best clverage? If you want to cover other things than just MilAir, then the 325P2 is good for trunked/P1/P2 scanning. It deodes well and has a lot of memory. I have a 325P2 and I do not find it as good on the limited MilAir where I live or the Civil Air as say my old 396T handheld, my 780XLT desktop or other scanners. if you are looking for a pure MILAIR capable scanner only, the Uniden 125 would suit you better. Or find an old 780XLT. I know others will have opinions but these are mine and follow for where I live in the Chicago area.

nanZor

Don't overlook the Whistler WS-1040 handheld either. It does milair / civil air quite well. And considering that you are thinking of hanging out at Jedi, the choice of antenna may not be that critical when they are right on top of you. :)

That being said, the models N9JCQ listed can also be a fine choice.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
The BCD325P2 looks like it adds a lot of functionality, but I have no idea if I need this (and the added expense) to do what I want
I have a BCD325P2 and it works quite well for MilAir with the stock antenna. I usually monitor the R2508 frequencies when I'm in the area.

This may be more radio than you need, especially if you don't want to monitor P25 trunking systems. Look at some of the other radios mentioned in the thread and make you purchase decision. You might also look at the programming software for each radio. I use Freescan for my 325P2. You can program these radios directly from the keypad, but using the software is much easier. I also have the BuTel software for my 325P2, but I prefer Freescan most of the time.

scannersnstuff

Going thru the same thing, as of today. Being somewhat new to my current area < Tampa-Clearwater>, I am currently setting up for milair monitoring. I chose my bcd325p2 for this task,since my bct-15 is tied up doing trunking. Let me just note,although I had a bc125at, I have since sold it. I was quite happy with it. If you intend on loading it with milair frequencies, you will quickly run out of space, 500 channel's vs. 25,000 in the 325p2. I have loaded about 150 frequencies into the 325, and intend on putting more in. A quick look at the spec's, show both scanner's to be about 04 uv at 12 db sinad. I am also stuck in the no outside antenna dilemma. I will post some result's, when I get going.

gyster

Thanks for helping out - I'm completely new to scanners, so all the advice is greatly appreciated and helpful. I'm only interested in the milair at the moment and the 125AT has a pretty attractive price, but the 325p2 seems like it has quite a bit more versatility and capability and at around $350, it's not crazy expensive. Again, I really appreciate that you took time to respond...thanks! Oh, I don't have any antennae. I'm looking forward to having a little heads up when there's someone at low level in the area. Just wish I could get the flight schedule for Edwards and China Lake. They apparently publish this online but you have to have an access card (CAC) and an account. I'm not in the military and I don't work at either of the bases, so that rules this out.

Don't overlook the Whistler WS-1040 handheld either. It does milair / civil air quite well. And considering that you are thinking of hanging out at Jedi, the choice of antenna may not be that critical when they are right on top of you. :)

That being said, the models N9JCQ listed can also be a fine choice.
Thanks...I'll check the Whistler out. What's the N9JCQ? Thanks again for taking time to reply - I know you don't have to, and it really helps!

Thanks...I'll check the Whistler out. What's the N9JCQ? Thanks again for taking time to reply - I know you don't have to, and it really helps!

gyster

I went out there today for a few hours but only one F/A-18 went through. I wonder if the Navy has ordered the pilots to maintain a minimum altitude. I've seen 3 hornets and a couple of F-16s out there, but all were just above the canyon walls. The Navy had a guy hit the wall out there this summer (Hornet out of Lemoore NAS) - he died and some of the people on the ground were burned and hit by debris. There's still a good bit of crash debris out there - pieces of carbon fiber, charred aluminum fragments, I found a piece of a circuit board and there's a pretty wide area where some kind of molten metal (silver in color) splashed over the soil and rocks and solidified. Here's a pic of the hornet I saw today.

Attachments

• Hornet06_sm.jpg
    Hornet06_sm.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 6

questnz

For a handheld get 125AT it will do the job. For handheld/portable Air Antenna you can check Watson WSM-901, Diamond RH77CA is also very good on Air but bit longer. For outside antenna Diamond Discone D130 or one of the dedicated AIR Antennas from DPD Production Air Omni UHF/VHF Base Antenna. plus some good quality coax cable to match, Don't forget batteries, Panasonic Enelopes or Pro are many of us favorites. Get one set with the charger and few spare extras. You may need few sets of these. Good luck

nanZor

That crash was a tragedy for sure for all concerned.

Now that I think about it, I'd say the Uniden 125at being lightweight would be my pick since you may be climbing around - whereas the 1040, while capable, is a bit of a brick and heavier with 4 aa's instead of two.

And of course the upgrade from the stock oem antenna, the Diamond rh77ca bnc version is a classic combo for many.

scannersnstuff

That crash was a tragedy for sure for all concerned.

Now that I think about it, I'd say the Uniden 125at being lightweight would be my pick since you may be climbing around - whereas the 1040, while capable, is a bit of a brick and heavier with 4 aa's instead of two.

And of course the upgrade from the stock oem antenna, the Diamond rh77ca bnc version is a classic combo for many.

Agreed that the ws-1040 is a brick,but you have longer battery life, and it's a sensitive receiver.

gyster

Agreed that the ws-1040 is a brick,but you have longer battery life, and it's a sensitive receiver.
First of all, I thank you all for taking your time to provide the really great input - really valuable for me, and time is precious - sincerely appreciate that ya'll do that. In general, it seems the 125 gets the most votes - so it's a pretty easy decision for me, especially at the price point. From what I've seen the 125 is just under a hundred, $200 for the 1040, and around $350 for the BC325p2. It seems that these aren't built as direct competition for one another - otherwise, they'd only sell the 125s. So the added features with the 1040 and certainly the 325 are marketed to folks with different needs (and the prices reflect the greater functionality). For me, I think the 125 will be a great choice, and if my interest wanes, it won't be like having an expensive boat that spends most of its life in the driveway. :) Maybe just over 100 bucks for the scanner + antenna is easy - my wife let me have Christmas early to get around $2,800 worth of camera gear, so it would take some salsemanship to convince her of an additional $350 :) Anyway, I feel a whole lot better thanks to you guys and am confident I'm making the right choice - thanks again for taking the time to provide advice.

gyster

First of all, I thank you all for taking your time to provide the really great input - really valuable for me, and time is precious - sincerely appreciate that ya'll do that. In general, it seems the 125 gets the most votes - so it's a pretty easy decision for me, especially at the price point. From what I've seen the 125 is just under a hundred, $200 for the 1040, and around $350 for the BC325p2. It seems that these aren't built as direct competition for one another - otherwise, they'd only sell the 125s. So the added features with the 1040 and certainly the 325 are marketed to folks with different needs (and the prices reflect the greater functionality). For me, I think the 125 will be a great choice, and if my interest wanes, it won't be like having an expensive boat that spends most of its life in the driveway. :) Maybe just over 100 bucks for the scanner + antenna is easy - my wife let me have Christmas early to get around $2,800 worth of camera gear, so it would take some salsemanship to convince her of an additional $350 :) Anyway, I feel a whole lot better thanks to you guys and am confident I'm making the right choice - thanks again for taking the time to provide advice.
Found a new scanner on ebay for $75...just asked seller if it comes with everything in the box...

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I second the 125AT recommendation. For vhf/uhf air band and milair coverage, and the affordable price, you'd be hard-pressed to find another scanner that fits the bill. The BC125AT is an awesome scanner.

gyster

I use Freescan for my 325P2. You can program these radios directly from the keypad, but using the software is much easier. I also have the BuTel software for my 325P2, but I prefer Freescan most of the time.
It doesn't appear that Freescan supports the 125AT. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.