Scanner Recommendation PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1GMV

Hey Guys, looking for a recommendation on a decent scanner for my house. Will probably just keep it in the living room and want something easy to enable and disable banks. Not sure what modes I need for my area (Raleigh) I know P25 is a must but not sure about what else.
Is ok if it doesn't have everything. I just want one that has decent full bodied sound and is not a POS.
Would like to keep cost under $500
thanks

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
What all new people to the hobby need to learn and answer these questions.
1. What is it you want to hear? (Police, Fire, EMS, what is the range you expect (how far do you want to hear)?
2. Where are you located?
3. What is your budget?
4. Do your homework What Type Systems are in use in your area. (P25, DMR, NXDN, SIMULCAST, TRUNKING)?
5. How technological savvy are you?
6. Do you want a Base Mobile or Handheld?
7. Do you understand BASIC COMPUTER COMMANDS (DOS COMMANDS)?
8. If needed can you put up your own outside antenna?
9. If you require assistance PLEASE LIST
A. Where you are.
B. What type Scanner you have.
C. How you are trying to program it (by hand or Software and IF BY SOFTWARE WHAT BRAND AND VERSION.
D. What problem you are having.
Answering all the above questions will give you the best option to buy the scanner that best works in your requirements and get you the best assistance from the members here.
There is not 1 member here that can answer a question posted this way. MY SCANNER DOES NOT RECEIVE.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
State Viper system is currently using P25 Phase 1 and expected to upgrade to Phase 2 within 5 years, Wake County (which includes Raleigh PD) is currently simulcast but expected to upgrade to P25 in the near future (had thought 2019 but it didn't happen). The NC prisons (two in Raleigh) have begun using NXDN (but few others are using it) and many businesses are using DMR. I currently am using a PRO197, PRO668 with the Whistler Legacy Upgrade and a TRX-1 with good results, all three fall in your price range. The PRO197 does not do Phase 2, DMR or NXDN, and requires you to purchase programming software and be a RR premium member to use the database for programming. The PRO668 with upgrade does not do NXDN.

While many will suggest the SDS scanners you will be going above your price point and need to purchase upgrades for DMR and NXDN. They'll mention the improved reception of simulcast systems, but as I mentioned the county is soon switching to P25.

Also, Cary and some of the smaller cities that switched to the Cary TRS are now encrypted. I live in Raleigh and monitor both the county and Viper daily. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at this refurbished Whistler TRX-2. It'll do everything you want there in Raleigh.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Another excellent choice is the Uniden BCD536hp. It's about the same price as the new TRX-2. It'll do p25 phase one and two out of the box but you would have to pay for the nxdn and dmr upgrades putting you over your 500 dollar limit.

The TRX-2 is the desktop version of my TRX-1 handheld.

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
Would he also need separtate programming software with the Uniden? I do not know?
The TRX-2 is the desktop version of my TRX-1 handheld.
It uses the Uniden Sentinal software which is free to use but there is also other paid programming software. What buddrousa said. I was typing while he answered.

Soundman

The bcd536hp is really nice it is 2 scanners in one . You can use your phone as a sec scanner . You can keep your base in your office and have your phone just like a handheld .It works just like the homepatrol on your phone and program is so easy you put in your zip codes and you are done .

rangers38

The bcd536hp is really nice it is 2 scanners in one . You can use your phone as a sec scanner . You can keep your base in your office and have your phone just like a handheld .It works just like the homepatrol on your phone and program is so easy you put in your zip codes and you are done .

How do you use your phone as a second scanner? I know about the wifi dongle,, but how do you connect to it when you are not on wifi?

N1GMV

I can do all that, is what I do for work. I would use a VPN over port forwarding. But can see this feature useful if in another room and simply using my Wi-Fi on my cellphone. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.