Scanner Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

peeta725

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,
With the P25 cutover fast approaching, my old scanner will no longer function. I need recommendations on a digital trunk tracker. Berkeley County will be my primary area of monitoring.

There are only a few choices on RR's wiki for monitoring P25 Phase I and I was just curious if anyone had any recommendations. Basically I"m just looking for reliable monitoring (and a good support group!) at the cheapest possible cost. I won't be buying anything new; eBay is where it's at!

Thanks guys!

peeta725

Premium Subscriber
I should've mentioned I was not looking for a portable handheld. Only a mobile / base unit.

garys

Premium Subscriber
The BCD996P2 doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of the 536HP, but it should do what you need. It will also have the advantage of Phase II capability if any of the systems you listen to go that route. If you are certain that you don't need Phase II, then a BCD996XT will work fine.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Look at the Whistler WS-1065. If you're really looking for the lowest price, look for the GRE PRS-600 or the Radio Shack PRO-197. These are all the same radio. The drawback with the RS and GRE versions is you don't have the manufacturer to go back to for support/parts/repairs in the future. Purchasing the Whistler model provides you some protection.

As for local support, I have configurations for all areas of SC for this line of scanners that I'll share with you free of charge. You'll need to make sure you get a programming cable and a license for Win500 software as well.

peeta725

Premium Subscriber
Look at the Whistler WS-1065. If you're really looking for the lowest price, look for the GRE PRS-600 or the Radio Shack PRO-197. These are all the same radio. The drawback with the RS and GRE versions is you don't have the manufacturer to go back to for support/parts/repairs in the future. Purchasing the Whistler model provides you some protection.

As for local support, I have configurations for all areas of SC for this line of scanners that I'll share with you free of charge. You'll need to make sure you get a programming cable and a license for Win500 software as well.
My new 1065 came today! Thank you for the recommendation and if you wouldn't mind sharing those configurations, that would be fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.