Scanner recommendations between Uniden and Whistler

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for a scanner analog or digital that picks up the pl tones instantly, BCD996P2, BCT15X not fimiliar with Whistler models

CanesFan95

I've never compared the squelch settings side-by-side, so unsure on that. But basically, you can easily set the squelch with the squelch knob.

Ubbe

BCT15x and BCD996P2 are pretty much identical when it comes to the radio receiver, squelch and subtone detection. The 996 has an additional DSP that handles the decoding of the digital formats. The subtone audio in both scanners comes from a low pass filter than then goes directly to the CPU that then within 0,5 sec calculates the subtone frequencies for CTCSS and DCS. The higher the subtone frequency the quicker the CPU will get the amount of zero crossings needed from the audio to correctly calculate the frequency.

/Ubbe

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
BCT15x and BCD996P2 are pretty much identical when it comes to the radio receiver, squelch and subtone detection. The 996 has an additional DSP that handles the decoding of the digital formats. The subtone audio in both scanners comes from a low pass filter than then goes directly to the CPU that then within 0,5 sec calculates the subtone frequencies for CTCSS and DCS. The higher the subtone frequency the quicker the CPU will get the amount of zero crossings needed from the audio to correctly calculate the frequency.

/Ubbe
So the 996 has two decoders for analog and digital

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
The CPU takes care of the simpler decoding of subtones and analog Motorola trunk data and a special DSP in the 996 handles the more demanding fully digital voice and data at a higher bit rate.

/Ubbe
The only difference between the BCT15X and BCD996P2 ones analog and the other analog/digital and specs the same

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
You've had numerous posts on RR regarding squelch settings. Why is this a priority, or what is your concern.
I didn't know if the BCT15X have a different decoder than the BCD996P2 if one maybe better than the other, Is vhf classified as analog

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
What is the difference between BCD996P2, BCD996XT and BCD536HP is one newer are more features

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What is the difference between BCD996P2, BCD996XT and BCD536HP is one newer are more features
The 996XT is an older DMA scanner. It can handle P25 phase I systems, but not P35 Phase II.

The 996P2 can handle both P25 Phase I as well as P25 Phase II. You can also get paid upgrades so that it can monitor DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice (ProVoice is no longer supported by the manufacturer, and just about all of the ProVoice systems are moving to other formats.

The 536HP is a database scanner, so that is an advantage if you are traveling, and taking the scanner. Connect a GPS to the scanner, and let it use the main database to identify systems that are in range during your tarvel. Like the 996P2, it also handles P25 Phase I & Phase II, and can also get the same paid upgrades. If you update the database, you can start scanning with only your location & a range, accessing the main database, though in many cases, long term you would be happier creating specific Favorites liists based on what interests you. (The 996P2 can also connect to a GPS unit, but it does not have the database, so you would need to program everything along your intended route. You would also need to create & load a program file to the 996P2 before scanning.)

The 536HP can use Uniden's free Sentinel software. ProScan can handle both the 996P2 as well as the 536HP. If you prefer the ARC software, then you would need to purchase ARCXT for the 996P2, or ARC536 for the 536HP. For the 536HP, Sentinel is needed to maintain the database as well as install any firmware updates, if and when any are released. (Not betting on firmware updates in the near future.)

Is there any simulcast there? I looked quick, but not knowing what OP wants some LE could be.
No simulcast in the OPs home county (Union), though a number of other South Carolina counties on the statewide system, Palmetto 800, are simulcast.

Of course, if you are traveling & taking the scanner, and your route takes you to or through a large metro area, simulcast is almost guaranteed to be used on one or more systems.

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
The 996XT is an older DMA scanner. It can handle P25 phase I systems, but not P35 Phase II.

The 996P2 can handle both P25 Phase I as well as P25 Phase II. You can also get paid upgrades so that it can monitor DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice (ProVoice is no longer supported by the manufacturer, and just about all of the ProVoice systems are moving to other formats.

The 536HP is a database scanner, so that is an advantage if you are traveling, and taking the scanner. Connect a GPS to the scanner, and let it use the main database to identify systems that are in range during your tarvel. Like the 996P2, it also handles P25 Phase I & Phase II, and can also get the same paid upgrades. If you update the database, you can start scanning with only your location & a range, accessing the main database, though in many cases, long term you would be happier creating specific Favorites liists based on what interests you. (The 996P2 can also connect to a GPS unit, but it does not have the database, so you would need to program everything along your intended route. You would also need to create & load a program file to the 996P2 before scanning.)

The 536HP can use Uniden's free Sentinel software. ProScan can handle both the 996P2 as well as the 536HP. If you prefer the ARC software, then you would need to purchase ARCXT for the 996P2, or ARC536 for the 536HP. For the 536HP, Sentinel is needed to maintain the database as well as install any firmware updates, if and when any are released. (Not betting on firmware updates in the near future.)

No simulcast in the OPs home county (Union), though a number of other South Carolina counties on the statewide system, Palmetto 800, are simulcast.

Of course, if you are traveling & taking the scanner, and your route takes you to or through a large metro area, simulcast is almost guaranteed to be used on one or more systems.
What is the wi-fi dongle 536HP for and would the 996P2 be a better choice