Scanner Recommendations for W MI

Status
Not open for further replies.

xzebra007

Hello - I am looking for a good scanner for the W MI area that won’t break the bank. Not sure if I need a digital or if analog will work. Any suggestions?

I am looking for a good scanner for the W MI area that won’t break the bank.
I own a 325P2 from Uniden. It's reasonably priced and will monitor the modern P II systems out there. It's handheld.

It's base cousin is the 996P2. A few more dollars.

Here's a listing of models for you to review.

Let us know if you have any questions and good luck!

xzebra007

Thank you for your assistance. Will this pick up MSP as well or do you think MSP is not necessary?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What specific area? Much of Michigan uses the MPSCS trunked system, some of which is simulcast, and requires a more expensive model to receive reliably.

freqs

looking up some posts on those 2 Scanners .He may be unhappy if his area has SIMULCAST .
I live in metro Detroit ..Macomb Co we have Simulcast my 436 does ok depending on location of radio .

Hit_Factor

MPSCS has two options, the Uniden SDS series of scanners. These also scan everything else that's out there. DMR and NXDN, and Provoice are optional upgrades.

The Unication G4/G5 pagers can monitor MPSCS. They are not scanners so you won't get weather, air, marine, business, or anything else you can think of. These cost less than the Uniden SDS scanners.

MSP can be monitored on the MPSCS. Most Police in Michigan are on the MPSCS system. Here is a link to MPSCS on RR to help you understand what it does cover. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=100

Here is a link to the Michigan MPSCS site: MPSCS - Michigan Public Safety Communication System

Simulcast is pretty common in Michigan, and both of these options handle simulcast well. Simulcast capability would be like an insurance policy, you know you might run into it in Michigan. I think the 325P2/996P2 not appropriate for use in Michigan, there are places they work OK - but no guarantees.

W Michigan is a big place, where do you live? If you are shy, just give us the County name. I'm in St. Joseph, Berrien County.

xzebra007

MPSCS has two options, the Uniden SDS series of scanners. These also scan everything else that's out there. DMR and NXDN, and Provoice are optional upgrades.

The Unication G4/G5 pagers can monitor MPSCS. They are not scanners so you won't get weather, air, marine, business, or anything else you can think of. These cost less than the Uniden SDS scanners.

MSP can be monitored on the MPSCS. Most Police in Michigan are on the MPSCS system. Here is a link to MPSCS on RR to help you understand what it does cover. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=100

Here is a link to the Michigan MPSCS site: MPSCS - Michigan Public Safety Communication System

Simulcast is pretty common in Michigan, and both of these options handle simulcast well. Simulcast capability would be like an insurance policy, you know you might run into it in Michigan. I think the 325P2/996P2 not appropriate for use in Michigan, there are places they work OK - but no guarantees.

W Michigan is a big place, where do you live? If you are shy, just give us the County name. I'm in St. Joseph, Berrien County.

Thank you for the details. I live in theWest Michigan area. Would use it mostly for Kent County and surrounding locations.

scanmanmi

Thank you for your assistance. Will this pick up MSP as well or do you think MSP is not necessary?
I only hear MSP checking in/out the morning and evening. Once in a while there will be a car along the highway. I've yet to hear anything at all. I started another thread because I don't want to cough up for the SDS because I'm afraid everything will be encrypted.

xzebra007

I only hear MSP checking in/out the morning and evening. Once in a while there will be a car along the highway. I've yet to hear anything at all. I started another thread because I don't want to cough up for the SDS because I'm afraid everything will be encrypted.
What do mean “ I don't want to cough up for the SDS because I'm afraid everything will be encrypted.”?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
He's under the confusion that as soon as he buys a SDS100, all analog traffic will go digital, and then all digital traffic will be encrypted. Not very likely.

xzebra007

He's under the confusion that as soon as he buys a SDS100, all analog traffic will go digital, and then all digital traffic will be encrypted. Not very likely.

Thanks for clarifying!
So would the uniden bcd436hp be sufficient?

BSchaner

Premium Subscriber
Yes as mentioned above Kent County is in the process of building a simulcast system. Yes the SDS units would work and receive vhf and uhf also, however almost all public safety agencies around kent county will be on the MPSCS Digital system in the near future. I have a G4 which obvisouly works great in Ottawa County Simulcast but I do have a Uniden BCD996xt that works pretty well too honestly, although that may be because i'm very close to a tower.

The State police is usually dispatched by the county that they are working in but in the grand rapids area they do have the State PD dispatch that will give calls around GR. You can listen to those on the D6NORTH/D6SOUTH talkgroups.

At this point I would suggest just buying for digital as that is what the area is switching to. The G4 would be great and it is slightly cheaper than both SDS units. There is software update in the works too for the G4 to make it more like a scanner to be able to have TG hold and scan multiple systems in one knob position.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I guaren.......tee you all police will be encrypted in a decade.
And they've been saying all of the glaciers would all be melted in 12 years, for the last 25.:rolleyes:

Some will, some won't.

And there are other things a scanner can be used for besides police...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Thanks for clarifying!
So would the uniden bcd436hp be sufficient?
You'd be better off with the SDS100, as they are going simulcast. The 436's performance in simulcast is spotty. It will work fine in some places, and not at all in others.

xzebra007

Kent County is simulcast so the only scanner to "officially" properly receive the MPSCS is a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200.
Uhg ...of course I need the most expensive one. Darn
You'd be better off with the SDS100, as they are going simulcast. The 436's performance in simulcast is spotty. It will work fine in some places, and not at all in others.

Does anyone here in W Michigan have experience with the 436 simulcast?
Wondering how well it may work considering it is much cheaper than the SDS100.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I own both the 436 and SDS100. My comments are based on extensive testing driving around in simulcast areas with both scanners connected to the same external antenna, and comparing the traffic received as I traveled around. In some places, the 436 worked perfectly. In others (sometimes just a few hundred yards away) it got nothing, while the SDS100 didn't care where it was, as long as there was a detectable signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.