Scanner recommondations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldozerbert

I currently have an old scanner, and would like to upgrade.

I am in Southern Ontario. ( kitchener)

do I need digital technology? Or just something with trunk tracker?

what are ur ideas, and what is ur scanner of choice.

Thanks Robert

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Welcome!

Hi Bert - Welcome to RR!
There are a few questions you need to know the answer to before you choose a new scanner. Will you be using your scanner at home or on the move? Walking around or in a car?
What do you want to listen to? Police, fire, ambulance, aircraft, etc? Let us know, and the folks on this forum will be pleased to help out with suggestions.
You have picked a great time to get back into scanning - there are some great scanners available!

bulldozerbert

Hi Bert - Welcome to RR!
There are a few questions you need to know the answer to before you choose a new scanner. Will you be using your scanner at home or on the move? Walking around or in a car?
What do you want to listen to? Police, fire, ambulance, aircraft, etc? Let us know, and the folks on this forum will be pleased to help out with suggestions.
You have picked a great time to get back into scanning - there are some great scanners available!

of course I left a lot out, sorry...lol

I wil lbe scanning from my house, and would like to listen to police, fire, ambulance mostly.........

I noticed the scanners are resonably priced, xcept for digital

neoengel

Hello fellow Kitchener-ite. I live near the Weber/Ottawa area :)

I'm newish to scanning and grabbed a HomePatrol and use it almost everyday on the road across North America and sometimes at home (I love the cykf feed but there's more to hear via your own digital scanner).

From what little I know, it seems to me you get what you pay for and strongly suggest grabbing a digital scanner ;)

Nap

The Waterloo region radio system is analog.

If you're looking for the "best" available analog handhelds, GRE 310 is available from www.amazon.ca and Uniden BC346XT from RadioWorld and DurhamRadio.

Last edited:

bulldozerbert

Neo, I am actually a lil North Of Kitchener, but always use it as reference cuz it is my closest city

bulldozerbert

Is the radio shack pro197 any good..........I am kinda a uniden fanatic, but wow, they are a lot more money

VE3JSO

the pro 106/197 models i find is a good scanners they share the same firmware the only diff is one is a desk top and the other a hand held i have the 106 never had a problem with it it is easy to program by hand and by the computer if you have the programing cable

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

If you have anywhere close to $400-500 you can get a digital scanner. TorontoKris on here has the best prices and the best service.No GSt or brokerage fees with him. I have a Home Patrol which I love and a used old Uniden 250 without a digital card which is great also. I have also heard great things about the PSr800, made by GRE.

Nap

I'd say don't spend too much on it. The writing is on the wall, eventually all these channels will be encrypted and your scanner will be pretty much useless.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Nap said:
I'd say don't spend too much on it. The writing is on the wall, eventually all these channels will be encrypted and your scanner will be pretty much useless.

Nap: I bet you are a blast at parties. If you expect any municipality to do something as important as implmenting a communications system on budget and on time I got some good land to sell ya ;-7.

Nap

LOL.

I was just saying that an inexpensive trunking analog scanner would do. OPP/RCMP already have all they need to encrypt (and I don't see why you would want to listen to them miles north of Waterloo anyway). Waterloo region is analog and yes it will take some time for that to change.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
If you want OPP and GO Transit digital is the way to go.
If you want just basic analog for now and see what happens later you can do that.

**Please contact Kris directly for pricing information**

Last edited by a moderator:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

Nap said:
LOL.

I was just saying that an inexpensive trunking analog scanner would do. OPP/RCMP already have all they need to encrypt (and I don't see why you would want to listen to them miles north of Waterloo anyway). Waterloo region is analog and yes it will take some time for that to change.

If you drive on any of the provincial highways its good to have a digital capable scanner. You can listen to almost everything from the Toronto border to the tip of the peninsula if you have a decent antenna. If I had $ to blow I would buy a PSR800, 996XT in that order. Not a big fun of the other ones.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

Infinitig37x said:
Just got another gre 500 off kris (have had a lot of radios and like this one the best) can't beat his prices eh

Kris: you should have a sticky in this forum containing information about your services and what you offer. That way anyone new looking for a scanner can immediately learn what and how much you offer. Note to Ron and Mike Cuipa: if Kris is cool with this would having this clash with the sites dealings with Scannermaster?

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Eric, I'm just a data monkey here at RR :lol: Don't give me any undue credit.

Perhaps Kris and Lindsay could discuss this privately, then Ron could "sticky" it. :)

I will however strongly endorse dealing with torontokris.

If great prices and friendly service is what you are looking for, look no further than his contact info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.