Scanner Repair in Salt Lake/Ogden Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaesu_dave

I realize this post is slightly off topic, but I need help getting my PRO-64 repaired and figured this forum would be a good place to get information. Having said that, are there any good electronic repair shops in the Wasatch Front area where I can take my PRO-64 for repair, or am I at the mercy of the local Radio Shack stores? My PRO-64 powers on and will scan and allow me to enter frequencies, but it will not receive at all. When I turn the squelch down I can hear what sounds like loud synthesizer noise from the microprocessor, so I'm thinking that maybe the microprocessor is shot. I've tried connecting my PRO-64 to an external antenna, and it still won't receive. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be and recommendations for repair would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to send me a message off list if you'd rather not reply in the forum. Many thanks!

qlajlu

Silent Key
You didn't indicate how new the scanner is. What I am getting at is whether or not it is still in warranty. Hate to see you take a piece of equipment to a repair shop if it can be repaired under warranty.

Check your owner's manual and/or the RS Web site to see if either one recommends a local "authorized" shop. I am thinking, though, that you are going be at the mercy of Radio Shack.

You might also consider posting this plea in the "Radio Shack Scanners" discussion group listed in the Scanner Models Discussion section above. Someone else may have had this problem and can give you options as to how to handle it.

Last edited:

yaesu_dave

qlajlu said:
You didn't indicate how new the scanner is. What I am getting at is whether or not it is still in warranty. Hate to see you take a piece of equipment to a repair shop if it can be repaired under warranty.

Check your owner's manual and/or the RS Web site to see if either one recommends a local "authorized" shop. I am thinking, though, that you are going be at the mercy of Radio Shack.

You might also consider posting this plea in the "Radio Shack Scanners" discussion group listed in the Scanner Models Discussion section above. Someone else may have had this problem and can give you options as to how to handle it.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I purchased my PRO-64 about 10 years ago, so its warranty expired a long time ago. What baffles me is that the scanner has had very little use since I purchased it in the late '90's and has spent most of its life sitting in a drawer, so I can't understand why it's suddenly stopped receiving. I've tried resetting the scanner several times to see if that would help, but to no avail.

Thanks for the tip about the Radio Shack Scanners forum; I'll give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.