Scanner saves the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightjock

My sister and I were on our way to a funeral over the weekend. We had a 2 hour drive ahead of us, and we were running late. It was determined that we HAD to hit a drive through for breakfast, despite the time crunch. We pulled into a Dunkin Donuts and lined up for the drive through. Since it was a Saturday morning, there were at least 6 or 7 cars in front of us in line. Each car was taking close to 2 minutes to be processed. We realized that this would take about 15 minutes just to get coffee. I said "We should have gone to Tim Hortons." She sighed and said they were probably just as busy.

That's when it hit me. I have the Tim Hortons drive through programmed into my 396XT! I switched quick keys, the channel came up, and.............open channel. No drive through chatter, no tone for when a car pulls up to the speaker. Interesting...

After 30 seconds of listening just to be sure, we jumped out of line at Dunkin Donuts and drove a block down the street to Tim Hortons. The drive through was empty, and food was in our hands in about 30 seconds. We hit the thruway and made it to the funeral at the last possible second. Had we not done our drive through recon, we would have been late for sure.

Thanks Uniden. You saved the day, and breakfast!

Cool, The other day the family went to Walmart, I was sitting at home with the scanner on when I head a call that there was a crazy guy running around the parking lot harassing customers. I called her up and told what was going, it just so happens she was about to leave the store. She stayed in the entrance way and looked, and said she seen the guy, and than the police arriving. She said the guy was in the same row were she was parked. Guess who gets to buy another scanner this weekend :)

CompuDoc

When the time comes I hope you are not late for your own funeral I run late to everything except work so I plan on being late for my funeral when the time comes because i have to keep with tradition. :D

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"When the time comes I hope you are not late for your own funeral."
What a HORRIBLE thing to say!
"...I plan on being late for my funeral when the time comes because i have to keep with tradition."
OOOoooh, you selfish basket, you want to be late but the other guy should be on time? Oh you horrid little man, you should only get there early! (;->)

davidbond21

You've got to love those little victories a scanner can bring. Now the sum of all these victories may never add up to the cost of the scanner itself, but they are still worth it(like hearing about an accident on your work commute, and you take a different route instead and on your way hear the officers working the accident talk about how all lanes of traffic were closed and the cars are stopped for a few miles back and it's still going to be about 30 minutes before they can even open it back up, it just puts a smile on your face especially when not late to work).

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
Being able to hear and prepare for accidents, fires, lane closures is what makes a scanner in a vehicle a must to me. Especially knowing where the accidents are and where the local sheriffs dept. are while out and about is well worth the investment. I don't leave home without mine.

73s

Chad

screenersam

I hate motrbro
had a bud worked for a local radio station; we were hanging out waiting for a fireworks show and heard on our scanner it was canx (too much wind). we split and he went by the station and made a live announcement on air.
similarly...he was monitoring the local county central and heard that a ferry was adrift (mooring line broke). made another live announcement, saving some people some driving.

randyf

still trying to figure this all out
yes, i was on the way to work one morning and a school bus and pick up truck hit head on i picked it up just in time on the scanner just before the road was shut down made a quick detour around it before traffic got backed up real bad

ObiHann

Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I heard on the scanner that police were searching for a kid in my neighborhood, since I'm a member of my local SAR team, I re-packed my bag and made coffee in case my phone rang. About 30 minutes later over the scanner, the told dispatch to contact the SAR team. It wasn't for another hour until a officer on the scanner reported a find at a friends house, and they called off the searchers... Funniest part... When they called out SAR, I never got a call, however, when they called off the search, I got a call saying not to respond lol... It turns out the automated system the city has for our team is a joke and nobody got a call out, we all got calls staying go back to bed though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.