• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scanner security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0OTK

What are your opinions on security? I'm looking to mount my homepatrol in the car. I'm concerned that it will be stolen. Mounted in plain sight with a windshield mount, it will look like an easy to steal gps unit. Has anyone figured out how to lock up or secure their scanners? Sure I could stow it under the seat, but who wants to disconnect it every time you get out of the car?

Thoughts?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What are your opinions on security? I'm looking to mount my homepatrol in the car. I'm concerned that it will be stolen. Mounted in plain sight with a windshield mount, it will look like an easy to steal gps unit. Has anyone figured out how to lock up or secure their scanners? Sure I could stow it under the seat, but who wants to disconnect it every time you get out of the car?

Thoughts?

Maybe a closed console in between the seats? Out of sight, out of mind!

n9zas

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber

Unless you have a super-deluxe two-way auto alarm that will notify you if/when your vehicle might be broken in, I'd suggest you keep your vehicle in a locked garage, or remove all temptation from potential thieves. Although the popular item of choice is a GPS easily fenced or possibly re-sold on eBay, I'd remove any trace of your HP-1 if you're not physically in your car. "I just ran into the store for a minute" is the statement I've heard many times from burglary from motor vehicle victims. I was a police officer for 35 years in a south-western suburb of Chicago, and we weren't immune to crimes of this nature.

I wish to dispel a rumor, however. In my career, I NEVER took a burglary from motor vehicle report on any vehicles with Ham Radio license plates. That is a myth, and has nothing to do with cars or trucks being broken into. It's not a target, sign, or means to a theft. If a scalawag wants to rip you off, they'll do it as fast as they can, and really don't want a confrontation with you or any other witness to their crime.

Best advice - take it out, cover it up, or have a way to disguise it's installation. Whether mounted in a center console, glove box, or way up under the dash, the HP-1 might be mistaken for a GPS, and has little to no market with petty thieves thinking later on it's a CB or other useless device not suited for their crime.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
It really depends on your neighborhood. After being burglarized three times and with everything concealed, Ive lost nearly $10,000 in radio gear and stereo equipment. I dont even have an ashtray in my truck anymore, they stole that too.

ScannaMan9

What type of car do you have??

Idea's
-If you have 2 glove-boxes, you could mount it in the smaller one
-Console mounted?
-Treat it like a gps... Use a generic suction-cup mount,and take it off,with the wires hidden,and hide it.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
There has been a bunch of car break ins around here looking for GPS units.
The owners remove them by releasing the windshield suction cups but the theives look for the suction cup marks.
If they see them, they get the car open figuring the GPS is hidden out of sight. The sad thing is they are usually right and no more GPS for the owner plus whatever damage was done gaining entry into the vehicle.

So always clean the marks off the windshield if you do remove your mount.
I myself gave up on windshield mounts for that very reason. I now use mounts that I custom install that are hidden when removed or I use some of the cup holder mounts.
I even stick a soda cup back in the cup holder when I remove the mount.

Antennas can be a problem especially if you remove them in a shopping mall lot. The bandits often sit and observe so best to remove that stuff before you ever hit the parking lot.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Sure I could stow it under the seat, but who wants to disconnect it every time you get out of the car?"

Someone who doesn't want it stolen and the car damaged in the process. I kept my ham rig in the glove box and a dummy mount under the dash complete with hanging wires because an antenna mount even with no antenna raises curiosity. If you can't hide it, remove it.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
*Many* years ago I made the decision to not ever put a `Base/Moble' scanner in any of my vehicles after a rash of thefts of said type equipment in our community. (Luckily I was not one of the victims as I'd just gotten a new vehicle and hadn't gotten my scanners installed.)

At that time I started looking for some sort of solution that would still allow me to have a `traveling scanner'. What I came up with is what I use now.

First off I went looking for some sort of a carrying case that I could easily lug around that would be easy on my shoulder, wouldn't be all that obvious, and could be secured to me with something than just a shoulder strap. What I located were one nice looking leather `shoulder bag' with both the shoulder strap and a waist strap and a `MilSurp' `messenger bag / medic bag' that also had both styles of straps. Both `bags' have several external pockets and pouches, a reasonably large `main' compartment with several auxilary pockets that are each big enough to hold 1 HH scanner each, and a large pocket on the back of the case(s) that are big enough to a large spiral bound notebook. They also have some `interesting' extra pockets that are hard to find without really searching. [SWMBO's was made by a friend of ours who has a leather goods shop and was made to her specs since mine wasn't exactly the `style' she wanted.)

Next, I moved my `base/mobile' scanners permanently back into our house and picked up a pair of HH scanners that, at that time, came close to duplicating the scanners I had removed. At first I used a couple simple straps that I could hang the HH scanners by their belt clips from and then hang off of either some knobs or by catching the free end between the dash and the glovebox door. It was after SWMBO had decided that she wanted her own scanners that we discovered that some of those cup/can/mug holders that have a hook that could be hooked onto the doors between the window and the door `upholstery' could also easily hold a HH scanner quite well. (As a `plus' they hold the scanners right where they can be easily heard without having to really `crank up' the volume to be heard!)

These days, what with all the `basic equipment?' cupholders one finds in the newer vehicles, we still use the `after market' ones *along with* the built-in ones. Especially if both of us happen to have our `usual' scanners with us.

As for what to do with getting external power to the scanners we either use whatever auto adapter needed and carefully string the necessary wiring so that it isn't a hinderance in handling the vehicle or we just go with the batteries in the scanners. (One of the other nice things about our bags is that they make it very easy to keep extra batteries, in holders if the scanner(s) have holders, on hand as needed!)

Finally, if, like our bags, the bag happens to have `pen/pencil' pockets they make a great place to either store the scanner antennas if we have to remove them or carry a `spare' or two antennas for those times the `regular' antenna just isn't up to picking up what we might want to listen to. Oh, yeah... We have found that, as a way to somewhat `lighten the load', carrying a set of the EveryReady Lithium AAs for each scanner really helps. So far I haven't yet found any of the scanners we usually carry have any problems with them *and* as a nice `side effect' the Lithium batteries can last up to 20 or more hours in use. (The GRE PSR-700 is the most `miserly' with a pair of them giving me, with the `Advanced' Lithium AAs, approximately 27hrs, and with the `Ultimate' Lithium AAs, 28 to 28 3/4hrs of use while scanning 2 RRs, Boulder County SO, CSP `conventional', Med channels, Air Medivac, and the FRS freqs we use around our farm. Basically a `standard?' load of freqs I use around our place.)

Given how good the current `crop' of HH scanners are these days *I* figure that I'd rather `save' the `base/mobile' scanners for base use and use the HH scanners as both `portable/HH' and `mobile'. (While I will probably get a GRE PSR-900 it will be used as a `base' scanner even though it has that `remote face' option. I've gotten so used to using my HH scanners mobile I really don't know if I really would breakdown and do a mobile install of it even if it may be harder to `see' or easier to `hide'.) BTW, another nice `feature' of using HH scanners is that one can still have use of them in rental vehicles if/when needed.

KD0NDO

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Triumph Build/GRJ22; CyanogenMod-7.1.0) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Take a pic of the install. And lock.the doors role or crank up the windows ;) . If there is damage from a break in.present the photo to the insurance Co and they may handle it. If your plan will cover theft. Keep the pics up to dare with new installs

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Better yet, write down the serial number somewhere and keep with your receipt and photo, if any, at home. When it gets stolen you will have all the info you need for a report, and with any luck some idiot will try to pawn it and get caught down the road.

People will break in to steal loose change out of your vehicle. (Although, as mentioned, your neighborhood does have a part to play.)

The only way you can be sure it won't be stolen is by not leaving it in your vehicle in the first place.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Leave a pit bull in the car. End of story...

vicious_pitbull.jpg

KD0NDO

Premium Subscriber
get a trunk monkey. if you dont know what that is search it on youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.