Scanner Seems to be Skipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintballpro650

Premium Subscriber
When I have the scanner scanning a system it will skip from time to time during someones speech. It will be giving a police description and like bl____ hair brown jacket ____ pants. The other day I got a box alarm on fire dispatch and during the address it cut out the street number and several syllables of the street name.

I tried increasing the delay time which didnt not fix it then I tried changing the Mot End Code from Ignroe to Analog + Digital. Any ideas how to fix this?

Also I thought thetop know was volume, squelch, and a selector. I have yet to get a squelch adjuster to come up.

paintballpro650

Premium Subscriber
Scanner skipping

So what's happeneing is that every 2 seconds (some set interval) the system is checking for the priority channel and that process interrupts transmission of evey other channel? So that if i turn off the priority setting it should stop this interruption?

LordJ

So what's happeneing is that every 2 seconds (some set interval) the system is checking for the priority channel and that process interrupts transmission of evey other channel? So that if i turn off the priority setting it should stop this interruption?

Exactly.. Pri/Close Call/WX Alert can all cause this to happen..

SCPD

QRT

That is exactly what it is doing. Note though, that Priority typically does not affect trunked systems that are programmed into your scanner, only conventional or non-trunked systems will this work on.

And you'd be surprised at the number of times this question has been asked. No, I'm not chiding you to search the forums for your answer. It took me a little while to figure this one out myself, so when I see the question asked, I answer it, because sometimes it takes longer to find the answer in a search, then it does to ask the question and wait for an answer. LOL

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
ArtU: Sounds like a reception issue (either low signal or interference to the signal).

ArtU

ArtU: Sounds like a reception issue (either low signal or interference to the signal).

Thanks UPMan, I will look into that.

The signal sites monitored with skipping last night were within 1/2 - 3 miles from me.
There might be something to that, as many sites signals 10-15 miles from me last night had no skipping.

Might be multi-path and I need to put attenuation on. (?)

ArtU

ArtU

Simulcast digital distortion

I think the problem I am having is Simulcast digital distortion due to the multipath.
All the sites under the system I am scanning say Simulcast on the ID scan.
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

The signals I want to hear the most are all around me and are the ones that I can't hear clearly. Ones 15-20 miles away come in crystal clear.

I tried many different indoor antennas, outdoor discone, adjusting the included whip antenna to different sizes. I tried the global and channel attenuators.

Sometimes some transmissions got perfect and then others really bad. Keep in mind I have now closed off all scanning to just the site/agency I am most interested in and the one with the most problems.

Experimentation will continue for a cure; but for now it's like being in a Manhattan condo in the middle level, in the 60s/70s, with rabbit ears on your color TV. Ghosts everywhere ;-O

unixfreak0037

Premium Subscriber
I have this issue as well on the Boone County Kentucky conventional analog police dispatch channel. I can actually look out my window here at work and see one of the transmitting towers. I can pick it up on my 106 without an antenna. The dispatcher's transmission often drops in the same way. I have priorities turned off, and it doesn't seem to happen on the other police channels, and it happens at my house as well, which is farther away from the signal. I can't figure out what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.