Scanner selection for Grande Prairie

Kinibo

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a digital scanner for my wife to replace our old analog unit that she couldn't use any more when our area's responders went to the AFRCCS system a few years ago. I've never bought a digital scanner before and know little about encryption. I just want to know if a scanner will work in the area where I live before spending hundreds of dollars.

I live in Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada and ZipScanners is telling me the SDS100 or SDS200 should work here. I'm hoping to confirm with the experts (you people!) if you would agree with that. And if there's anything else I should know, my ears are open.

Thanks for your help :)

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I've never bought a digital scanner before and know little about encryption.
Welcome to the RR forums. Here's a pro tip: Focus on the "mode" column per database table. Any talkgroup ID'ed as mode "DE" is fully encrypted (can't be monitored). Only mode "D" talkgroups are "in the clear". Hope this helps
1675790338456.png

Kinibo

Welcome to the RR forums. Here's a pro tip: Focus on the "mode" column per database table. Any talkgroup ID'ed as mode "DE" is fully encrypted (can't be monitored). Only mode "D" talkgroups are "in the clear". Hope this helps
View attachment 135968
It certainly does. Thanks for taking the time to respond, I'm sure a variation of this question comes up every day here so I really appreciate this. Cheers and thanks again :)