Scanner Setup Broadcast Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFR85

I have a question.

I have 2 scanners a BCD996XT and BCD996T. I currently have the XT and the cable wires hooked into my computer and I want to use the 996T to broadcast my feed. The XT im using Pro Scan Client to record calls. If I hook up both to my computer will there be any conflicts bewteen the two scanners?

Thanks!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I have a question.

I have 2 scanners a BCD996XT and BCD996T. I currently have the XT and the cable wires hooked into my computer and I want to use the 996T to broadcast my feed. The XT im using Pro Scan Client to record calls. If I hook up both to my computer will there be any conflicts bewteen the two scanners?

Thanks!

There shouldn't be any conflicts; RS-232 or audio. Each scanner needs a connection to separate RS-232 ports(or RS-232 to USB converters). Each scanner audio connects to separate audio inputs or left & right channels of the same input jack.

NFR85

There shouldn't be any conflicts; RS-232 or audio. Each scanner needs a connection to separate RS-232 ports(or RS-232 to USB converters). Each scanner audio connects to separate audio inputs or left & right channels of the same input jack.

Thank You Proscan!

NFR85

I was told I need two sound cards or they will walk over each other. My question is this.

1. If have 2 sounds cards how can I tell it to read the following.

1 sound card to read Proscan Client and the 2nd card to read just my scanner for the live feed.

Again any help would be greatly appreciated

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I was told I need two sound cards or they will walk over each other. My question is this.

1. If have 2 sounds cards how can I tell it to read the following.

1 sound card to read Proscan Client and the 2nd card to read just my scanner for the live feed.

Again any help would be greatly appreciated

On the walk over problem, it shouldn't be a problem as long as both inputs are terminated to an audio source using a standard grade sound card. Also turn down the slider to 0% on the unused input and set the mode to "Mono".
[EDIT] The slider and mode I referred to are the ProScan controls.

On the ProScan instance that you are using to broadcast your feed, set the "Input Sound Device" to the input that the scanner audio is connected to.

On the ProScan Client(or Remote Scanner Over IP), set the "Output Sound Device" to the device that the speakers are connected to. In most cases it will be the first selection.

[ANOTHER EDIT] Since it appears you are only broadcasting a single source, no reason at all that you would need another sound card.

Last edited:

NFR85

I just realized after posting my comment I dont have an empty slot for a 2nd card. I guess I will see what happens tomorrow when I try to broadcast my feed and use proscan client on the same card

Tryton

not to hijack, but on the BCD996XT, do you put the audio cable in the headphone jack or the REC out in the back?

wrenchmonkey

Just make sure the menu settings in the scanner for the Record Out function are ON for each channel or bank that you want audio to go out from the Record Out jack or you will get nothing out. That had me going for a while on my BCD996T.

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
If you end up needing another sound card, you can get a USB sound "card".

Also, if you notice a hum in the audio or you hear the audio from one scanner at a very low volume on the other scanner's input you might need to add an audio ground loop isolator between each scanner and the computer (one isolator can be used for two scanners, you can get one at Radio Shack). I've needed to use one of them when connecting two scanners to the same antenna via a multi-coupler, connecting two scanners to the same computer *could* cause the same problem.

-- Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.