Scanner shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbarb

Hi!! I’m in the process of replacing a failing Pro-39 and need some helpful advice. I’m looking for a handheld, like I have now. Looking at either the Pro-97 or the Pro-96. I’m looking for advice on either scanner, or maybe you can point me to something that will better fit my needs. One feature I do want in a scanner is computer programming. I’ve spent waaay to long typing in freqs.

I also heard a rumor that Brown co may be going digital, I’ll post in the Wisconsin form to see if I can confirm this as it would force the need for a digital capable scanner

Live in Brown Co WI
Scanning. General Fire, police, Skywarn, 2m ham bands, Air, events. EtC

Thanks

fireant

If you are looking at those two models if digital is on the way you can only go with the Pro-96 if your buying from radio shack. However you can find good sales on the radio shack scanners pretty regular. Good luck

fireant

ampulman

I will relate my personal experience with the PRO-96, which I had to return in barely over 1 month.

While it was working, it was a great scanner. I enjoyed it. After about a month, it stopped booting up (maybe once successfully in 30 or so tries). It would just freeze at the boot screen and would not respond to the keyboard. Thus the unit could not be reset or initialized.

Gradually, it was much harder to boot up and eventually froze on the screen requesting that the unit be reflashed.

Coincdentally, on the Yahoo PRO-96 forum, several others reported a similar problem. One poster indicated that Radio Shack stated that this was a 'memory' problem. I had programmed only about 30 conventional frequencies and 3 trunked systems. They wanted in excess of $300 to repair it. Since my unit was new, it was a no-brainer. At first they gave me a replacement (seemed to be a retread) which wasn't quite right, so I called the deal off.

I am now awaiting delivery on a Uniden BCD396T (which will arrive tomorrow). Based on considerable research, and comments that I've read (good and bad) concerning both units, I believe the 396 has more/better features overall. It is computer-programmable.

Also, as one who has done considerable technical writing, I can say that the the '96 manual is much more confusing, especially for someone new to trunking. The '396 manual seemed to make more sense (especailly after multiple reads).

Just my two cents.

Ampulman

n4voxgill

Silent Key
ampulman said:
I will relate my personal experience with the PRO-96, which I had to return in barely over 1 month.
They wanted in excess of $300 to repair it. Since my unit was new, it was a no-brainer. At first they gave me a replacement (seemed to be a retread) which wasn't quite right, so I called the deal off."

The scanner has a 12 month warranty. This doesn't compute............

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mbarb said:
Hi!! I’m in the process of replacing a failing Pro-39 and need some helpful advice. I’m looking for a handheld, like I have now. Looking at either the Pro-97 or the Pro-96. I’m looking for advice on either scanner, or maybe you can point me to something that will better fit my needs. One feature I do want in a scanner is computer programming. I’ve spent waaay to long typing in freqs.

I also heard a rumor that Brown co may be going digital, I’ll post in the Wisconsin form to see if I can confirm this as it would force the need for a digital capable scanner

Live in Brown Co WI
Scanning. General Fire, police, Skywarn, 2m ham bands, Air, events. EtC

Thanks

MBarb, if you find you need digital, we have fairly complete Wiki pages on each of the current RS and Uniden offerings that are digital capable at the bottom of...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/RR_FAQ

Just click on the model number and you'll be taken to the page.

73s Mike

red8

Mbarb,
One of the best scanners I have ever had is the Uniden BCT396d. I have owned on since May and I have had no problems with it. And I bought it from CEI for $519.00. They also have a web site and it is www.usacan.com. I ordered my both my 396 and my796 from them and I received them with in 5 days of my order and that was shipped
UPS ground. These folks are good to deal with and I would definitely do business with them again.

davidd2957

I have both the Pro-96 & Pro-97. Both these scanners work great, no problems with either one. The pro-97 will go on sale 9/28-10/14 for $149.99. See this 'Sale" thread
" http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48662 ". If you do not need digital, the Pro-97 is the way to go. If you need digital then the Pro-96 is a great choice. Both scanners use computer programming software by Don Starr which can be found here
" www.starrsoft.com ".
David D.

ampulman

n4voxgill said:
ampulman said:
They wanted in excess of $300 to repair it. Since my unit was new, it was a no-brainer. At first they gave me a replacement (seemed to be a retread) which wasn't quite right, so I called the deal off."

The scanner has a 12 month warranty. This doesn't compute............

I felt that such a failure at the ripe old age of 1 month did not bode well for the long-term survival of the unit, especially being faced (possibly) with a $300 + repair bill. The second unit didn't inspire my confidence either.

Ampulman

Status
Not open for further replies.