Scanner Shortage

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Supply and demand for sure. I am so grateful that I am into this hobby and have the radios that I do, and the fact that if we were to suddenly go into some sort of lockdown or martial law due to the growth of this CHAZ insurrection or the riots or the second wave of covid-19 I am well prepared and have everything I need to bunker/hunker down. I would hate being the guy out there who decides now is the time to buy a scanner to monitor what's going on. Ya snooze ya lose, ya snore ya lose more, said a very wise person once.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
J-I-T manufacturing and supply chains.

I can't think of one major corporation that manufacturers and then warehouses anything for longer than a couple of weeks as a hedge for potential demand, prior to sale. It is considered wasting of business capital by MBAs.

Now, everything is made as demand requires, but that means contractors and suppliers have to be able to supply packaging, IC boards, cases, and everything else at nearly the same time or the whole process grinds to a halt. This can also mean that parts once dedicated to repair or warranty work end up supplying initial construction and repair and warranty work goes unfulfilled.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Wish I could enjoys my scanners. LE here are ENC.
Surely there's got to be more than LE in your area that you can listen to. Public safety accounts for a tiny portion of everything I listen to. There's Air band, Marine, Rail, Amateur Radio, businesses (if you are so inclined to listen) just to name a few. When my county decides to throw the encryption switch it will barely change my listening habits. But then again everyone's listening preferences differ

NowhereMan66

Premium Subscriber
I don't post often, just read the mail, but my take is that the current civil unrest has a lot to do with it. Most of the time, back in the day, monitoring public safety bands was mainly for first responders, news media, amateur and shortwave radio enthusiasts for the most part. Some of the old timers I've talked to who remember the civil unrest in the 1965/1970 period also said that the general public, some people did become interested in listening to the police, medical and fire departments by buying VHF/UHF radios and the early crystal scanners, I see a parallel to that time here. I recently saw an episode of Dragnet 1969 where Sgt. Friday detailed where when Martin Luther King was assassinated, the preparations the LA police department under Chief Reddin to deal with it. According to the show, LA was relatively peaceful.

Bob1955

No shortage here as I have taken to restoring oldies and putting them in service. The only issue is that my closet is getting full with old radios and crystals...
I'll buy that Electra Bearcat BC-4 from you if you want to part with it. Please private message me. Stay safe.

Bob1955

How recent has there been a shortage of scanners?
I’m seeing this in the last month or so.
Amazon has back orders and also Bearcat Warehouse and the prices are way up too.
I remember not too long ago that the Bearcat BC-125AT was $83 and now $124 which is ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.