SDS100/SDS200: Scanner "Sticks" on Aircraft Frequency

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Well, the problem with that is that I actually want to listen to the planes using this frequency. If there is a way to eliminate the issue while still being able to pick up legitimate radio transmissions, I'd prefer to go that route first. And if I eventually realize that the scanner is stuck on the frequency, I can turn the knob and get the scanning going again, and the problem may not happen for another hour or longer. It's not sticking on the frequency every time it scans it, so a permanent lock out seems like overkill. It is an annoyance though, and I can miss transmissions on other systems when it gets stuck.
Have you ever heard any radio traffic on that frequency, or just that it occasionally hangs while scaning?

122.8MHz used to be the standard UNICOM frequency for airports without a tower. Several more channels have been added over the years, but it shouldn't be used for any other purpose.

Obviously I don't know how many uncontrolled airports are in your vacinity, but if there are none, I would again recommend you simply lockout that frequency. You won't lose any radio traffic if no one in your area uses 122.8

fredva

Feed Provider
122.8 is the frequency used by the pilots landing at the general aviation airport a couple of miles away. We can see the planes that have just taken off or getting ready to land from our house. I regularly hear transmissions on 122.8. On weekends with good weather, the pilots sometimes have to coordinate with each other to determine who lands first, so the frequency can be busy. What's relatively new is the scanner stopping on the frequency and not continuing.

Today is not the best day to test any tweaks. The weather isn't good and that usually means few private planes are arriving or departing. I've had the scanner running with the IFX setting for a little while. I know it hasn't stuck. But I also haven't heard any transmissions.

Kfred

122.8 is the frequency used by the pilots landing at the general aviation airport a couple of miles away. We can see the planes that have just taken off or getting ready to land from our house. I regularly hear transmissions on 122.8. On weekends with good weather, the pilots sometimes have to coordinate with each other to determine who lands first, so the frequency can be busy. What's relatively new is the scanner stopping on the frequency and not continuing.

the scanner seems to be the only "constant" thing in this situation so i am thinking the noise is internally generated. I had an older model portable scanner that would generate a birdie when the display was against my arm. I also would not think a cell phone would generate a harmonic on that freq but you never know. My microwave clock has interfered with my high band fire channel and I had an older model xterra that put out some irratating rf on that same frequency until it warmed up.

fredva

Feed Provider
I noticed it had stuck again in the car when I arrived home this afternoon. The other evening I had entered 122.8 in the IFX list in Sentinel and transferred the setting to the scanner. I wasn't 100% sure that was the way to do it through the software, but I didn't see any other option. This afternoon, I didn't hear an actual transmission on 122.8. I was hearing transmissions on another frequency for another airport several miles north of me.

The other evening I had entered 122.8 in the IFX list in Sentinel and transferred the setting to the scanner. I wasn't 100% sure that was the way to do it
I don't think you got it right.

ifx.jpg

Try it on the scanner while scanning.

IFX

AA4BK

If you add it to the Sentinel IFX list, then write to the scanner, it should enable IFX for that frequency in the scanner at that point.

fredva

Feed Provider
Update: I removed the IFX entry and changed the programming from 122.8 to 122.805. I've not observed the scanner stopping on the frequency and holding there. I've been hearing some traffic with the updated frequency and can tell what is being said but not sure how the clarity of the transmissions compares to the official frequency. Clarity can vary based on distance, whether I'm inside or outside, etc. I need to do some more listening over time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ubbe

SDS100 are incredible narrow in the demodulator for AM. If I tune 5KHz off my SDS100's squelch doesn't open. But you probably have a much stronger signal than me.

/Ubbe

fredva

Feed Provider
SDS100 are incredible narrow in the demodulator for AM. If I tune 5KHz off my SDS100's squelch doesn't open. But you probably have a much stronger signal than me.

/Ubbe
Well, that's one of the things I'll have to be evaluating - whether I've significantly reduced the receiving range and need a strong signal from an aircraft close by.