BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Scanner Stop Receiving P25 P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Did some reprogramming as our county is going P25. I am using Freescan. This scanner was receiving P25 full scale before and still works good on conventional. Nothing on P25. Where should I look on the program
Mike

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
FreeSCAN is no longer maintained or supported, so you're really better off switching to ProScan. You can try it for 30 days free, then it costs $50 for a license that you can run the software on two computers. It's worth every penny, especially if you want to do some logging and recording with the scanner attached to it (assuming the 996P2 is at home and not in the vehicle).

So I'm assuming you're programming CORNet. Did you import the system from the RRDB, or did you set it up manually in FreeSCAN? It needs to be system type P25 Standard (Digital XT) in that software.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Hi GTR8000! This is driving me crazy! I have a licensed version of Proscan, I use it to monitor the SDS200 over my network but I can't for the life of me figure out how to program my radio with it! Freescan is already set set to P25 Standard digital XT.
I would love to use Proscan.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Wait... I found it! I had to open a database in Proscan first to get the window.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Wait... I found it! I had to open a database in Proscan first to get the window.
Yes. For the 996P2 change the scanner type in ProScan, then go to the Database tab, then create/open a new database. You can then read the scanner's current programming to work with that.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I got iit working and receiving. I was wondering since the scanner only allows 20 items in a single list so I will make 2 lists (favorites). Do I have to put in the transmitter sites in both lists or will it work if they are in just one?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Thanks! I got iit working and receiving. I was wondering since the scanner only allows 20 items in a single list so I will make 2 lists (favorites). Do I have to put in the transmitter sites in both lists or will it work if they are in just one?
By "items" do you mean Groups of talkgroups within a system? The 996P2 has the hierarchy of System, then Group (groups of talkgroups), then Channel (talkgroups). What limit of 20 are you referring to?

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
When I go to program the radio with CORNet it only allows 20 departments at a time. Monroe, Middletown...up to 20. I have to download the next 20 departments to a separate group. I hope I got the terms right......

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
When I go to program the radio with CORNet it only allows 20 departments at a time. Monroe, Middletown...up to 20. I have to download the next 20 departments to a separate group. I hope I got the terms right......
That odd. I just imported the entire system from the RRDB into ProScan at once, no issues, no warnings...all talkgroups came through just fine.

Please double check that the correct scanner is selected in ProScan. Go to the Scanner Type menu and make sure it's set to a BCD996P2.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
If I click continue, it breaks up some of the departments and add them to the first system on the list.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
If I click continue, it breaks up some of the departments and add them to the first system on the list.
Can you create another system and drag & drop the nodes?
or copy the system to a new system then select all the nodes to delete then delete.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Here is the warning I get when it try to add the entire system to my 996P2
Ah okay I see what's going on now. It's running up against the limitations of the scanner itself, not ProScan.

You'll need to get creative with the system in the ProScan database before uploading it to the scanner. Combine some of the talkgroups into categories until you whittle it down to 20 groups (TGIDs) of talkgroups or less.

So for example, maybe create three new groups called "East PD", "South PD", and "West PD" to group together the PD talkgroups. You can drag/drop the talkgroups from their current groups (each municipality) into the new groups. Of course feel free to leave some of your local talkgroups in their own separate categories to make it easier to turn Quick Keys on/off to manage what you're scanning.

The point is that you need to whittle the list of Groups down to 20 or less. Note that Groups in this instance refers not to the talkgroups themselves, but to the talkgroup categories (TGIDs)

Blooming Grove PDEast
Cornwall PDEast
Maybrook PDEast
Montgomery Town PDEast
Montgomery Village PDEast
New Windsor PDEast
Newburgh City PDEast
Newburgh Town PDEast
Walden PDEast
Washingtonville PDEast
Chester Town PDSouth
Chester Village PDSouth
Florida PDSouth
Greenwood Lake PDSouth
Highland Falls PDSouth
Highlands PDSouth
Monroe PDSouth
Tuxedo Park PDSouth
Warwick PDSouth
Woodbury PDSouth
Crawford PDWest
Deerpark PDWest
Goshen Town PDWest
Goshen Village PDWest
Middletown PDWest
Mt Hope PDWest
Port Jervis PDWest
Wallkill PDWest

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for taking the time and effort to put together your response. I programmed the radio using Proscan and will use it from now on. I got the radio working using a similar method that you have shown. I like the one you just put together and will use it when I re program. Now my question can be stated clearly! If i used the set up above, using separate groups North, South, East & West, do I have to put the simulcast (North and South, in each of those groups, or will it work with just putting them in one group, say North, and scanning all 4?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You create a single System, to which you add the Sites and the Groups. As long as both Sites are within that one system, alongside all of the Groups (groups of talkgroups), the scanner will scan between both the North and South cells.

Note that you may not want to be scanning both the North and South cells, because you may miss some transmissions while the scanner is switching between them. If everything you want to listen to is primarily carried on one of those cells, then you're better off scanning that one cell, i.e. South only.

Status
Not open for further replies.