Scanner stops and still no audio!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevyman22360

This is my second post, I have tried everything and still have had no luck. This is the system I am trying to monitor http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2315
The problem I am having is the GRE 500 will stop on a talk group and you won't hear any audio. I have tried the squelch and that does not help this situation at all. What I have noticed is when it stops on the talk group there will be no frequency that will show up with the talk group. The times when audio does come through there is always a frequency that will show up. I have tried all the multi-site settings, no help there. My trunking tables are set the way there are suppose to be. I have 5 bars when these signals come through so that is not the issue either. I am at my ends with this thing. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone has found a cure.. Thanks for all info you can provide.!!!

jimg

Premium Subscriber
This may not help--but on conventional frequencies my GRE 500 will stop scanning because it is picking up a weak signal on that frequency. When I increase the squelch it starts scanning again and then stops when it receives a stronger signal.

xpawel15x

Does it stop on one specific frequency when there is no audio or it doesn't matter what frequency it stops on, you just never hear the audio?

Chevyman22360

It really doesn't matter what frequency. Really don't know cause there is not frequency that shows up. I know there is a strong signal coming through because I have a Pro 2096 and hear it through that.
I have tried attenuator as well and that does not solve the problem.
Thanks

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I've been having the same type of problem on this system: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3783

It's also a vhf P25. I have a little distance b/n me and the nearest tower, but usually I have a 99% or so copy of the control channel when I analyze it. I had selected P25 auto and "custom tables" in Win500. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I changed it to P25 auto and default tables.

I seem to still be having some problems, but I need to watch it a little more.

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
Chevyman22360 said:
It really doesn't matter what frequency. Really don't know cause there is not frequency that shows up. I know there is a strong signal coming through because I have a Pro 2096 and hear it through that.
I have tried attenuator as well and that does not solve the problem.
Thanks

I e-mailed you back. I fixed it in the file and explained so you can just fix it manually if you want.

Let me know if that takes care of it.

Brian

xplorer77

Premium Subscriber
Just got the psr 500 and have the same thing going on on the SD system. Just wondering if the problem was fixed and what took care of it.

Derrick

Chevyman22360

xplorer77 said:
Just got the psr 500 and have the same thing going on on the SD system. Just wondering if the problem was fixed and what took care of it.

Derrick

Derrick,
Email me and I will send you my file, I started this thread and Brian helped me out, scanner works great on the SD system. rpekelder@gmail.com

Landman

I have had this happen on conventional frequencies that were set to tone search like FRS, GMRS, Itinerant and MURS frequencies and VHF fire paging frequencies. The scanner stops on a particular frequency and shows one or two bars on the S meter but I hear no audio. If I leave it alone it will sit there on that frequency for a very long time even if I am driving around. If I turn the squelch knob down to minimum then after a long pause it finally opens squelch and I hear the noise. Why does it do this? This is one of the most aggravating things about this scanner. If it is receiving a signal then damn it pass the mother @#$%ing audio even if it is just noise or just keep scanning. I would rather hear noise than see the scanner just sit there with one bar and the second bar blinking on and off with no audio.

Chevyman22360

Landman said:
I have had this happen on conventional frequencies that were set to tone search like FRS, GMRS, Itinerant and MURS frequencies and VHF fire paging frequencies. The scanner stops on a particular frequency and shows one or two bars on the S meter but I hear no audio. If I leave it alone it will sit there on that frequency for a very long time even if I am driving around. If I turn the squelch knob down to minimum then after a long pause it finally opens squelch and I hear the noise. Why does it do this? This is one of the most aggravating things about this scanner. If it is receiving a signal then damn it pass the mother @#$%ing audio even if it is just noise or just keep scanning. I would rather hear noise than see the scanner just sit there with one bar and the second bar blinking on and off with no audio.
You could try adjusting the "In Band squelch timeout" "Out of Band Squelch timeout" in the extended settings. I think you have to increase the number to make the squelch more sensitive. I have never had the problem on conventional, just digital. Hope this helps!!

Status
Not open for further replies.