Scanner store - San Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.

slypx

Quebec DB Adm
Premium Subscriber
Being from Canada, looking for information in San Diego

Going to a convention in San Diego in November, any scanner equip. (Uniden, GRE, Diamond, etc.) store with good price in downtown San Diego (Walking distance of convention center or short cab ride) ??

I'll keep space in my suitcase for shopping !!!

slypx

Quebec DB Adm
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that info, visiting their website suggest me that their prices are not always competitive, am I wrong ?

Any other stores ?

The good news about being in Canada, even if it was useful sometimes, is that there's no more Radio-Shack stores. The bad news is that they closed all of them and a handfull re-open under the "LA Source from Circuit City" banner = 4 quarters for a dollar !!!

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/default.aspx?language=en-CA&swlang=true

Last edited:

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
What I understand from other people . Ham Radio outlet will price match on some? stuff they sale. I think you just need to print out the page and show them the lower prices.

The convention center uses LTR system :) Very easy to scan!

cousinkix1953

Expect to pay a high California sales tax if you walk into a retail store in San Diego. Consider buying your next model on line! I've been seeing a few digital Pro 96 and 2096 scanners going for about $100.00 less than the current Radio Shack store prices of $469.00 USD on EBAY.

San Diego is using a trunked system but check the RR data base to see if youre gonna need a digital APCO 25 radio to hear them...

slypx

Quebec DB Adm
Premium Subscriber
Expect to pay a high California sales tax if you walk into a retail store in San Diego. Consider buying your next model on line! I've been seeing a few digital Pro 96 and 2096 scanners going for about $100.00 less than the current Radio Shack store prices of $469.00 USD on EBAY.

San Diego is using a trunked system but check the RR data base to see if youre gonna need a digital APCO 25 radio to hear them...

Thanks guys, keep rolling the info in, I like It !! I really APPRECIATE your solidarity !

Price matching is good enough for me.

Being a "Uniden guy" for the last 7 - 8 years, I'm mainly looking for a PSR500 or 600 (not settle on which one for now) I want to try the GRE experience.

The problem for us in Canada is that GRE products are not available locally and some US store (Scanner Master not to name it) is asking a leg and 2 arms to ship ! 97 $ shipping for a PSR600 !!! They got me once when I bought my 396 and 996 but won't let it happen again ! In all, over 125 $ for shipping and customs !!! As for taxes, I don't know what you consider high taxes but here whey pay 13 % on local buy !!!

Thanks for the info on the convention center radio system. Closer to my departure date, I plan to program my 396 with the electronic download thru ARC396 and the RR database. Traveled a lot to USA and the DB has always been good to me. As for the info on San Diego in the DB can I count on it for accuracy ?

Last edited:

JoeyC

The database is very accurate for SD county. There is NO killer radio store here for scanners. All the deals that can be found are online. The SD scanning community is relatively small for our population.

Status
Not open for further replies.