scanner stores Indianapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

pike63

Hey new to the Indianapolis area and wanted to know if there is any good scanner stores around here. Really looking for something like a 396XT

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Only the Radio Shacks you can get the Unidens through them .

Washington St,.. the malls...

GTO_04

Fry's Electronics carries Uniden as well, but you will pay top dollar there. They have a store in Fishers on the north side of Indy.

GTO_04

W9NES

*Did I not say that in my posting above?*"Ham Station in Evansville"Again would anyone like to start a Scanner Shop in Indianapolis?

KR4BD

It is sad to see very few companies selling scanners in Indy these days. Scanners were virtually "born" in the Indianapolis area with local companies Bearcat and Regency knocking each other out to sell them around 1970. I bought my first scanner while living there in 1971. It was an old Regency TMR-8H crystal type. I still have it and it still works.

Back around 1970, there were several "mom and pop" TV and Radio Repair shops selling scanners. I remember one place off of W. Washington close to the airport that sold them and they also carried a complete supply of crystals for the local area. I bought my first scanner at Charlies TV (another "Mom and Pop operation) on Southeastern Ave...

Also, Indy used to have larger stores like Graham Electronics and Lafayette Radio that sold scanners and accessories. I bought lots of stuff from both of these places. The Lafayette Radio store was on Georgetown Rd (I believe) very close to Lafayette Square. Graham Electronics had a location on 38th near Lafayette Square AND another Downtown. Another was VanSickle Radio on N. Keystone. These stores also sold ham gear. I realize these places are all "history" these days.

Almost forgot....Heathkit had a store off of Keystone (on 62nd St ?) up around the Glendale Mall where one could buy kits. I bought and assembled one of their desktop scanner kits which I had for many years. Indy used to be a great "scanner town". Everyone had one it seemed! Even my long deceased mother had one locked on 154.25 to hear all the Wayne Township FD action, 24/7.

But even back then, it was illegal to have one in your car....unless you had a Ham License. That alone was a MAJOR motivator to get a Ham License!!!

W9NES

Yes it is sad but we do need a Ham Radio Store in the Metro Indianapolis/Marion County area that would sell scanners like they do in Evansville at The Ham Station.We had R&L electronics here on East Washington Street for a short time and then they closed and went back to Hamilton,Ohio

drunyon

Silent Key
In today's economic climate and global marketplace, it's very difficult for a brick and mortar store to compete against the online powerhouses. People just don't value personal service as much as they once did. Before the internet, we relied on our local business owners who were the defacto experts. Now, anyone with an internet connection and the ability to type into Google can get more product information than they can actually digest (and comprehend) and have an almost unlimited worldwide inventory from which to choose.

Right or wrong, the times have certainly changed.

bearcat991

I don't think people value "personal service" any less than they ever have. In today's market place especially right now there would simply not be enough business to sustain a "scanner store". Personally I did like when R & L had a store in Indy but even then they said they didn't get enough business to keep that store open. It certainly is no better now, in fact much worse. A handful of avid hobbyists will not sustain a business much less turn a profit which is of course the main reason anyone would do it. I get excellent personal service from all the people I do business with online...

W9NES

Yes but what about the people who want to buy local?.If you want to buy a scanner you may wish to look at IndyHams.org and look under the classifieds.*There you will find two Digitial scanners for sale in the Indianapolis area.We do have a place to buy,and sell in our local area.*

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Yes it is sad but we do need a Ham Radio Store in the Metro Indianapolis/Marion County area that would sell scanners like they do in Evansville at The Ham Station.We had R&L electronics here on East Washington Street for a short time and then they closed and went back to Hamilton,Ohio

I'd recommend HamStation in Evansville also.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Deputy Electronics in Seymour

Deputy Electronics in Seymour sales both the 396XT and 996XT and programs it for "free". Great Mom and Pop store. And tell them Del sent you. And tons and tons of CB's and antennas if you're interested.

W9NES

That's fine for Evansville and Seymour but what about the rest of the state?We have a lot of people looking at Indyhams.org under the classified section tab for items for sale.There are (2)Digital scanners listed for sale.

jerk

Give it up...
Or start your own store if you think the need is there... but what you'll find is there is no profit in it, and because there is no profit, there are no stores, nor will there be in the future.

Scanners are a niche product, and as more radio systems become encrypted for secrecy and safety (because people call the police complaining about what they've heard, or so-called illegal use of frequencies, etc.)
There will be even less demand for people buying scanners.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Even a full-line amateur radio store would have a hard time getting started, I think. To be competitive, you'd have to buy enough product to get the quantity discounts that AES, HRO, etc., get. In very round numbers, it'd probably take $100,000 in inventory just to get started. Add to that lease on space for the business (even if it's just a warehouse), utilities, salary for a couple of employees, insurance, and somebody to design and host a web site so you can sell on-line. It adds up pretty quickly. And if you don't make it, you'd lose the overhead expenses and probably not get anywhere near full price for the inventory.

Viper43

Not sure if it they are still there but there were two places in Richmond, one on 40 near the state line that sold scanners, CB's and ham gear and one in town, I think on 13th St North of 40 but it's been 8 or 9 years since I was in either place.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.