Scanner Stuck on Close Call Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC_zero_DSU

I have a BCD996P2 and not sure what I did or how I did it but when I try to go back out of menu to scanning the p25 system I had set up now the screen alternately flashes
'Close Call' 'Channels Found' and shows the control channel frequency for my system and a NAC. None of my group quick key numbers were showing across the bottom. Nothing I tried would get it back to showing the county name I programmed on first line, scrolling 'ID Scan' on second line, Frequency on third line etc... I panicked and did a reset then re-uploaded my system with FreeScan. But now every thing looks the same as it did when things were working right but I'm not hearing anything, maybe it's because it's almost midnight but even then I usually heard Highway Patrol checking in. I'd like to know how to fix the flashing 'Close Call' 'Channels Found Issue' in case it happens again. This is the biggest pain in the ass scanner to program and operate I've ever owned in my life. And the manual is not much help. If you can help thanks in advance.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Set Close Call Mode selects the Close Call mode when scanning or searching. You can also toggle these modes by pressing SQ in scan mode.
Scroll to 'Set CC Mode' and press E/●.
Scroll to 1 of 3 modes and press E/● to save and exit.
Off- Close Call is turned off.
CC DND- Close Call checks for frequencies every two seconds between transmissions.
PRI- Close Call checks for frequencies every two seconds.

Click on the link below for a better explanation of the Close Call feature:

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What you saw was Close Call picking up a strong nearby signal, which happened to be the control channel for your system.

It's not an "issue", it's a feature of tbe scanner working exactly as designed--picking up strong nearby signals even if they haven't been programmed. It's useful for discovering active unknown frequencies.

Legal1313

Premium Subscriber
I believe you want to “Lockout” the close call system that will automatically show. Go to Menu-Program System-Close Call-Edit Sys Option-Set Lockout-Lockout. For some reason when you dig around in Close Call in Menu the Close Call will by itself show up in your programmed systems.

KC_zero_DSU

If I remember right the last thing I think I did and that happened before it started doing that was I was going thru the menu trying to learn what each option is for and was in menu > Search For... > Search and Store > My System(the system I created) then I selected Public Safety. I'm foggy on whether that's the menu setting I was in or not.. but when I selected what ever it was It started searching thru the VHF hi and Low bands and when it got up to the 800mhz band it stopped on several freqs. and flashed NAC found or something like that and displayed the NAC. I turned the tuning dial and it continued searching up and then stopped on the control channel for my system and showed the NAC. And I think I pressed the tuning dial or E-yes thinking it would save that NAC for the control channel. And that's when it went back to scanning and was flashing 'Close Call' 'Channels Found', the control channel freq., and the NAC that was found. I did press the Sq knob until it showed Close Call Off which usually worked before when I was scanning my system and things were displayed normally showing 'ID Scan'. But with this other stuff flashing on there toggling Sq didn't do anything.
Another question/concern I have since I have reset this damn thing like 3 times since I've had it because of stupid crap like this and reprogrammed it three times is am I going to wear out the EEPROM and brick the thing? After getting it programmed when I use FreeScan to add new stuff should I check 'Add only, do not overwrite' or 'Replace any existing system by same name, add remaining'? It seems that when I tried the former option it didn't program everything right.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When you save a Close Call hit, it's part of the stuff you scan going forward, just like anything else you program.

While programming trunked systems from scratch can be done from the scanner menu, its not a good idea. Too much complexity for the limited display and user interface available. Get ProScan and do it from the computer. It's a lot easier.

KC_zero_DSU

Well I did something different that is doing something similar to the original issue only I can get out of it. Let me tell you a brief of what I have programmed. I created one system, a p25 standard digital xt, and add two sites, one for my county and one for an adjacent county. Under each site I have about 10 groups (20 total) and quick keys assigned to 10 of those groups. I left that as it was for awhile and then today added a second system. It's a conventional system and I added a dozen or so freqs. to it. And apparently it got assigned 0 as a quick key. So on the next to the last line on the display it shows S0:12_ _ _ _ _ _ _0 The last zero represents the conventional system. The first pic is what it's supposed to look like scanning normally my digital system but when I press 0 to enable the conventional system and try scanning it along with 1 and 2 enabled or by itself with 1 and 2 disabled the second and third pic is what I'm stuck with. For starters, why is my conventional system trying to add the control channel from my digital system. And why when I press Eyes to add it just to try to get it from sticking on that it takes me to a menu screen to edit that channel so I add a name press Eyes again to save and then back out of the menu but it's still stuck doing this???

20200215_182341.png20200215_172333.png20200215_182841.png

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Are you trying to program everything from the scanner keypad? If so, STOP.

Get Freescan or ProScan, and post your programming files if you have issues. It's pretty much impossible to troubleshoot programming problems from photos.

KC_zero_DSU

Are you trying to program everything from the scanner keypad? If so, STOP.

Get Freescan or ProScan, and post your programming files if you have issues. It's pretty much impossible to troubleshoot programming problems from photos.

I use FreeScan for programming, virtual control, and recording. Do you need the .csv file?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I use ProScan, but I think it will take a csv file. Give it a try.

KC_zero_DSU

This is a csv file but I had to rename it to a .txt file in order for the site to allow me to upload it.

Attachments

• Scanner_2-15-20 - Copy.TXT
    102.7 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.