Scanner stuck on main screen due to power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

egutierr

Ive been thru a lot of power outages and I know that the SD card corrupts. But this last time the scanner is doing something different. When I turn on the scanner it displays the scanner model / Digital trunking / Dynamic Scanning and thats it!!!!!! It wont do anything else and if i try to turn off the scanner it wont turn off at all. I have to unplug it from the power source and plug it back in to reset it. Does anyone have any ideas of what is going on?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'd start by swapping out the SD card. All of that funky stuff generally seems to be related to some sort of SD card error.

egutierr

If I decide to buy a new sd card does anyone know what are good options? also once I buy it what do I do? do I just insert it on the scanner? or do I have to download some files to it? Its been a while that I have done this. Thanks in advance.

Ubbe

Reformat the cd card in a PC with sd card reader, or buy an sd adapter for $10 from ebay or nearest computer shop. You will probably have use for it at other times. You have to initialise the card using Sentinels "Clear User Data" function. If you can get a USB connection to the scanner you could try that as the first option with your current sd card.

/Ubbe

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You can search around this forum for a post from Upman on the type of cards Uniden recommends.

That said I've used Sandisk cards and am happy with them.

There is a utility for formatting SD Cards: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

As noted above, you can try re-formatting the old card, Clearing the User Data to prepare it for use and do a Write to Scanner to re-load your profile, full database and Favorites List to the card. This is the same process you'd follow for a brand new card too.

I'm one of the folks who have programmed spare SD cards close by the scanner "just in case".

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You can search around this forum for a post from Upman on the type of cards Uniden recommends.

That said I've used Sandisk cards and am happy with them.

There is a utility for formatting SD Cards: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

As noted above, you can try re-formatting the old card, Clearing the User Data to prepare it for use and do a Write to Scanner to re-load your profile, full database and Favorites List to the card. This is the same process you'd follow for a brand new card too.

I'm one of the folks who have programmed spare SD cards close by the scanner "just in case".
UPMan's recommendation for replacement cards can be found here:
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/340206-replacement-sd-cards.html#post2642204

I also would recommend keeping an extra card handy, since that makes it easier to see if it's a card problem, or some other issue. (Most issues that seem to come up with regularity involve the memory cards, at least it seems that way reading various 'trouble' pasts and what it took to solve them.) I have extra cards for my 436 and 536HP, as well as my Mome Patrols (both versions).

A separate card reader is also a good tool to have. Easier and quicker to format and setup a new card via a reader rather than reaching through the scanner via the mass storage mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.