Scanner Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
I friend of mine is looking to purchase a scanner. I think he is looking for a desktop model. He wants a decent scanner that can handle analog frequencies plus digitalized frequencies.

I do not know what is price point is.

Suggestions?

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
Update: He is looking for a portable/handheld model that will pick up analog, digitized, and trunked frequencies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
rusty, let's first get some idea of where you are (county/state is fine) and what you are interested in hearing. Then folks can make semi educated recommendations.

Right now your questions are about as broad as a barn door. We need some parameters first

Mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Update: He is looking for a portable/handheld model that will pick up analog, digitized, and trunked frequencies.
Rusty,

What area (city & state)? That would help make sure that a useful suggestion is given. In some areas, a P25 Phase I scanner will do the job for the foreseeable future, but in others, a Phase II capable scanner might be needed.The reasonable current model digital scanners can all handle analog, digital, & trunked, but the key difference is going to be whether Phase II is required.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
He is in central NJ. Some of his neighboring towns are digital, as they are in the next county. He also wants to listen to NJSP, whoa re trunked. In addition, Monmouth County is switching over to a P25 II trunking system. Does this help?

marksmith

He is in central NJ. Some of his neighboring towns are digital, as they are in the next county. He also wants to listen to NJSP, whoa re trunked. In addition, Monmouth County is switching over to a P25 II trunking system. Does this help?
If you want phase 2 digital and a desktop, probably the 996p2 is the most economical choice.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

If you want phase 2 digital and a desktop, probably the 996p2 is the most economical choice.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
The BCD325P2 is the portable/handheld sibling of the BCD996P2. Either of these will handle analog, as well as P25 Phase I or Phase II trunked systems and conventional digital. With the just announced available paid upgrade, they can also receive DMR (MotoTRBO) systems.

Nasby

Radio Shack PRO-668 on Ebay.
Excellent performer and most economical.
Portable / handheld (as you mentioned) and will do Phase 2.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually the Home Patrol 2 is the oldest of the lot of Uniden Phase 2 scanners; you might get a good price on one of these (although it can't be upgraded for ProVoice or DMR - yet...)

Mike

gonefishn1

Home Patrol 2 or 536hp will allow them to grow into the hobby. The worst thing that could happen is for them to get frustrated with the scanner and put it away and stop using it forever. The Home Patrol 2 and 536hp are very easy to learn and to use. Just enter a Zip code to start using it.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

If he is trying to listen to Monmouth County's law enforcement on their P25 system, then he is pretty much out of luck. Their system is totally locked down with encryption unless he wants to listen to the road crews. The fire side is still in the clear for the moment on VHF analog.

That said, a P25 Phase 2 scanner would probably still be the best choice for when NJSP switches over to NJICS.

Last edited:

radio3353

You have received some scanner suggestions, but you have told us nothing about your friend. Is he/she a non-techy homeowner who just wants to listen or is he/she a hobbyist with some radio knowledge? The former will probably become frustrated with trying to learn programming and operation of a modern scanner and put it into the closet in short order (especially if any simulcast systems are involved.) The latter may have a shot. Your post in general is lacking a lot of information to make any kind of good recommendation such as:
Listening interests (Emerg services, military, aero, etc)
Budget (if you mentioned $500 to them would they say never mind?)
Technical level (housewife, ham, hobbyist)
Types of systems in his/her location (check the RR database)

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
My friend is looking at the Uniden model that was suggested. He said it looks like it needs windows to program it via a conputer. He uses a Mac. Will he still be able to program the scanner via a computer?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

marksmith

My friend is looking at the Uniden model that was suggested. He said it looks like it needs windows to program it via a conputer. He uses a Mac. Will he still be able to program the scanner via a computer?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Windows or some contrived window emulation on a Mac.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

Status
Not open for further replies.