Scanner Support for Motorola X2-TDMA and P25 Phase II TDMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

railroadertwo

As I live in Kansas and and I don't expect to travel very far from Kansas, I am looking to buy a new handheld scanner, and was considering a Pro-106, or GRE PSR-500, however, I have seen reference to Scanner Support for Motorola X2-TDMA and P25 Phase II TDMA, do I need to be concerned about perhaps getting a scanner that would perhaps support these systems, or would it just be just overkill. Thanks KCØWNY

N0YFE

When to buy scanner capable of P25 Phase II

The biggest issues is how long do you plan to keep your scanner. Given the fact that a replacement table for a radio may be 10 years or longer, there will still be enough systems using Phase 1 P25 until all the radios that use or monitor that talkgroup are P25 Phase II capable.

There also is the issue of upgrading the system, backbone, and controllers to support P25 Phase II. For now, I really would not worry and pick a scanner that will meet your needs for the next 10 years.

We will also have a big change in scanners once the operations for the D-Block LTE system are laid out and then scanners begin to be sold with that capability. That may be the best time to upgrade to a new scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.