Scanner Tales: Radio Shack Scanners; the good, the bad and the just plain weird

N9JIG

Sheriff
By now you will have read that I am currently a Uniden guy and had been a Regency guy for the most part in past decades. I have however, owned many RadioShack scanners over the last 5 decades of scanning. While for the most part they have been fine there have been a few outliers over the years.

Most RadioShack scanners were made by GRE over the years, but Uniden also made some now and again. For the most part the Uniden-made RS radios were very similar to contemporary Uniden scanners, albeit with RS programming methods and labels.

First the good:

The PRO2004/5/6 were the best of the best in their day. They could not be beat for the feature set, frequency coverage, the mix of sensitivity and selectivity and the ability to do mods. The mods really made these stand out. Of course, back then it was the cellular mod that made everyone want one of these. The mod was easy to do, well documented and the radio even had the proper 30 KHz. steps for the cellular band from about 869 thru 895 MHz. I had one of the very first 2004’s, this one had the cellular range set at 870 to 890 MHz. while later ones expanded that range to 869 thru 895 MHz. My very original 2004 had the 870-890 range blocked with the diode tack-soldered to the backside of the board, making for an easy find and removal. I then got a newer model that had it in the matrix with all the other feature and range diodes and the expanded 869-895 range blocked out (and restored). There were plenty of other mods and Bill Cheek made his name developing many of them.

I had an interesting experience with my 2004’s. I wanted to figure out the purpose of all the diodes in the control matrix, there were about a dozen or so. I clipped each one that was present and tried to find out what it changed, I also added one in the empty slots to do the same. One diode added an additional 100 channels, another deleted the 30 KHz. steps in the cellular range and yet another blocked some ranges for the European market. While doing all this soldering and unsoldering I fried something on the board and sent it to Radio Shack’s repair facility. $140 later I got the radio back and they had tack-welded the metal shield that covered the diode matrix to prevent more experimentation. It took me a couple hours to pry that dang thing open again!

The 2005 came out a couple years later and was another hit, the cell block was even easier, and the radio was much better on VHF high band. The 2006 followed up soon thereafter and did not seem much different than the 2005. There were some minor feature differences.

Later the Pro2035 and 2042 came out, while these had many of the same features as the 2005/6 the cases were larger, and it had a big tuning knob. I played with these but saw little need to replace my 2005/6’s at the time. I was not a big fan of these huge radios, the 2006 fit my car better and I think I was into the 780/796 by then.

Another RS scanner I really liked was the Pro43. It had great coverage, especially that it covered the Mil-Air band which was important to me at the time. It was also relatively tiny, so it was easy to carry in a shirt pocket when plane-watching at the local military airfields.

In general, there were some things I liked about RS scanners. The Tape Out jack on most of the base units until about the Pro2042 era was awesome. The RS scanners were generally well built, and the fit/finish was usually better than other brands.

Now the bad:

What can I say about the Pro92 and Pro2067? I hated these radios, and they really turned me off on the whole RadioShack line. I just hated these scanners to my very core. They were hard to program and harder to operate. The PL tone handling was a big issue for me back then as well. I despised these radios and sold the ones I had to whomever I could pawn them off on. It wasn’t until the Pro95 came out that I started to consider the RS line. At least the Pro95 was easier to use.

I was not a real big fan of the Pro96 and 2096, at least at first. While it was cool that I could get the System ID’s and Site numbers just by programming a control channel in, it couldn’t be done during a search, you then had to program it in as a trunked channel to view the info. The Pro96 was also way too large for me.

In general, I did not like the RS programming method. On other brands you could just go to a channel, type in a frequency and hit enter. On RS scanners you had to go into Program mode first, it just seemed to be an unnecessary step in the process.

Many RS base scanners also had non-removable AC power cords until at least the Pro2042, this was a pain when using these in a car. The size of the top-end radios like the 2004, 2042 etc. was excessive, making them difficult at best to fit in a car. They did not have to be that huge, there was a lot of air space inside and blank space outside the radios.

And what about the weird?

The king of weird in my opinion was the Pro2026. Made by Uniden for RadioShack, they took some of the great Uniden features and neutered them for the RS version. It was based upon the BC760XLT, a fantastic little scanner. On the Pro2026 they added a Program button as well as a Monitor button (which did what?) and made the operations buttons way too small to fit 6 where 4 had been on the 760. They also rearranged buttons from the more logical Uniden style. They hid the decimal button so that you had to root around to find it to enter frequencies. The original version had a Motorola antenna connector well after the Uniden radios had switched to BNC. While the early 760’s also had Motorola connectors they switched to BNC’s well before the 2026’s did (in the “A” version).

The 2026 also had really bad intermod issues, something I never saw on the 760. I returned my first one within a week of owning it, it was pretty much unusable. I was hoping to get the same results as the 760 at a much lower price (it was on sale) but no dice there. A year or two later the BNC version came out and it was no better than the original and I returned it too.

In later years the RS scanner line was rationalized into pretty much a 3-teir system, basic, mid-range and digital, matching model for model with the GRE’s. Of course they were all made by GRE by then. Uniden made their last RS scanners around 2007 or 2008, after that all RS scanners were all GRE made. While all major scanner companies (RS, Uniden/Bearcat, GRE, Regency etc.) had good and bad radios, RadioShack seemed to have the ones at the far ends of the spectrum, good and bad. Now that they are gone, we can look back at the sum total and remember the good ones and try to forget the clunkers.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I had a 668 for a short while but it wasn’t very noteworthy. I never had a Pro18 but knew people who did.

Same for the 106 and 197. They were just clones of the GRE with some cosmetic differences. I did use them to monitor P25 systems with Pro96Com (love that program BTW!).

FedFyrGuy

Premium Subscriber
Had a Pro 18 with me in Afghanistan. Listened to plenty of air band, MILAIR and local P25 users (non encrypted). One day I had the weather band feature activated by accident, and began picking up Afghan military repeaters on the NOAA weather frequencies - quite the unexpected find. Of course, those might have well been encrypted if you didn't speak the language. Great radio - displaced when being packed for shipping home. I'd planned to do the Whistler upgrade on it back in the States.

bearcatrp

Still have my Pro 26. Had a AOR 8200 but was a ***** to program. Sold it for the Pro 26. Back then, was the fastest handheld scanner. Still working today. Works great on airband.

Eng74

There were a lot of Radio Shack scanners I liked. The worst part of the Pro-92/2067 was you had to press scan every time you turned it on. When the Pro-93/95 we got control channel only which was great but they dropped the PL/DPL. The Pro-96/2096 were to me the best scanners that they had under their name. I was disappointed in the Pro-97/2055 because the DPL did not work right, but was fixed in the Pro-164. But the one scanner that I absolutely hated, the Pro-94. They called it a 1000 channel scanner but it was really 2 500 channel scanner. You could not program a trunked system unless it was getting the control channel. If you were not getting a CC you could not program talk groups. Not a good first trunk tracker radio to get.

B_Mitchell

the Pro-64 (and base model Pro-2041)
a 400 channel with a "search and store" feature, a real nice feature.
I've put my scanner in search and store for days at a time, and found new frequencies that way.

kc8jwt

Premium Subscriber
I had a Pro2026 and for the most part I had it mounted in my cars with my other radios such as the CB and 2M Ham rigs, and I never really experienced the intermod issues. A lot of what I scanned was rural stuff such as police/fire/EMS and most of them was UHF. We had very little VHF in our area. In fact I still have it and it still works and I use it to still scan analog stuff.

I also had a Pro2024 and it was a great radio, but at some point the capacitor that kept the memory went bad, and I had already moved onto a Uniden BC898T for at home and was still rocking the Pro2026 in the car.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I lived in a suburban area then and my 2026 was blasted with local pager and data intermod constantly. I did not really have a chance to try it out in the boonies as I returned it pretty quickly. I probably would have anyway as I really did not like the button layout, I was too familiar with that of the 760 I hoped it would supplement.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I am a GRE guy because I am a DXer and enjoy the sensitivty of GRE vs others. While it's easy to pick on something like the PRO-92 now, looking back; I happen to LIKE the PRO-92. Unlike the PRO-95, it can decode CT/DC tones. Unlike PRO-95, 97, etc.; it could also handle rebanding. Yeah you have to program every trunked frequency of a system, but that's what the computer interface is for. The negatives of the PRO-92 are that it is a 5v design and the firmware cannot be field updated/programmed. And the 5v design means it was powered from 6 AA batteries. But put yourself in the year it came out, and there was nothing better.

There's some parallel worlds going on in scanning. When it comes to analog, each model was definitely better. After the PRO-97 firmware can be field programmed/updated, displays got better and brighter, and internal organization broke away from the fixed number of frequencies in a fixed number of banks. The PSR-310 is my favorite with it's white backlit large LCD display, so-called object-oriented programming and more.

On the digital (P25) side, there seemed to be a struggle. Perhaps not enough buyers (profit) to develop as they should be. While, again looking back, the PRO-96 might not be perfect; it was still one of only a few real choices for P25 when it came out. I was never fond of the PRO-106, but LOVE the GRE circuit-equivalent PSR-500. I never expected it would stop being my main radio. One draw-back is the use of the DSP for CT/DC decoding, but I think that would have been properly completed if GRE were still in business.

And then along comes Simulcast. Radio Shack is no longer, GRE is no longer, and the company who bought their IP is not designing anything new. It's crazy there is only one radio-based solution out there. And as much of a GRE guy that I am, I am not unhappy with the SDS-100.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Nice post, brought up good memories. I still have two Pro 97's, bought a spare when I sensed the writing on the wall. Tinny audio but great scanners.
Had the Pro-2006 and with an aftermarket receive preamp the thing was fantastic with a standard issue ground plane hung from the ceiling. I'd grab one on the (real) cheap if I could.
Pro-92 was OK-I like bricks-only complaint was the poor, dim display.
Probably had others but can't remember.
Thanks for this! I like these nostalgia posts.

Eng74

It was pretty amazing time for scanners for about a 10 year between 1997-2007. The trunk trackers really advanced during that time period. It was almost like a new scanner was coming out every year. Once GRE started selling their own radios it slowed down. The 92/93/95/96 had GRE pushing Uniden and vice versa, was lucky to have money to spend on the radios when they came out. It is amazing where we are now where problems can be fixed with firmware updates and not having to wait for an A or B version to be released like the 92 or the next radio.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
I like the PRO-92 for the most part. Mine eats batteries for breakfast, but it's fairly sensitive and the audio is pretty decent for being over 20 years old. I never found programming too difficult, once you learned the key combos for the more obscure stuff it really became easy. The program mode on the GRE radios was likely to keep you from accidentally screwing up any programming with accidental button pushes or a new user.

I don't like how they did PL with the entire closed/open bank thing and dropping it on manual mode. That was a welcome improvement to the PRO-96. The PL/DPL decoding is near instant on the PRO-92, however, and LTR is a blast with it. I wish the PRO-96 had LTR as part of its trunktracking feature set, would've made it sort of a jack of all trades.

One more thing about the PRO-92 that I'm not necessarily a fan of is how fast the power saving mode kicks in. It takes forever to unmute as well, so if you let it sit, it misses a lot. They bumped it up from 5 seconds to around 20-30 seconds on later models though. I can live with the press scan issue.

The PRO-96 is probably my favorite scanner however. Amazing digital audio, it latches onto P25 channels nearly instantly, and it's more sensitive than any other scanner I've seen. It is a little slow getting back to the control channel on trunked P25 so on very busy systems you can end up getting hung up on another conversation and it also doesn't do 700 MHz trunking but for anywhere except huge cities it works wonders. It also handles simulcast fairly well for something non-SDS. Of course, the SDS will blow it out of the water for simulcast performance.

Just my two cents though.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Often forgotten, probably for good reason was the Pro-91. Too many confusing buttons etc. I picked one up at a flea market a few years ago for $5(they were asking $10). It really does not do anything fancy except receive analog very well. I still use it since a lot around here is analog and it also does well on 800 mhz with our local power company..they are LTR analog but just a few freqs so easy to listen to. 4 AA. cells last for days.

phoboss1

Premium Subscriber
It would be awesome if you could create a YouTube channel with your stories.

N9JIG

Sheriff
It would be awesome if you could create a YouTube channel with your stories.
There are a couple reasons why I haven't. First off I no longer have most of the radios I spoke of, I am pretty much left with the current Uniden fleet from the 125 thru the SDS's as well as my R8600 and Icom ham gear.

Second I would have to learn how to edit videos. The few that I have done are all one-take shots.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I had a 668 for a short while but it wasn’t very noteworthy. I never had a Pro18 but knew people who did.

Same for the 106 and 197. They were just clones of the GRE with some cosmetic differences. I did use them to monitor P25 systems with Pro96Com (love that program BTW!).
The Pro668/18 was such a terrible era, glad you missed most of that though I’m sure all the old threads hear are still archived. Initially as you said they weren’t too noteworthy and a logical upgrade to P25 scanners as systems went phase 2 and that was it. But then it became revolutionary after GRE released a DMR firmware update as previously scanning DMR was either dedicated receivers or SDR/Discriminato tap into PC. Turning it from more experimenty into a turn-key solution.

The annoying part though was RS rebrands had their own slightly tweaked firmware and instead of just pushing the OEM updates through RS liked to wait and hold it over everyone’s heads. I remember the previous update before only coming through after much hounding by everyone. Everyone sat around and waited and RS kept empty promising it would happen eventually, then they went bankrupt. Which was lucky for some because they got good deals on these scanners at some stores that were closing out and was cheap for a P25p2 scanner. About a year earlier GRE went defunct as well and was acquired by Whistler so after a little more waiting those that were still hanging onto their RS scanners were finally able to get the long awaited DMR update to their radios, even the ones that used the hacked firmware program passed around on here to force the update were also included, though at a higher price due to the chip replacement.

Another thing I didn’t like was the Pro-106/Pro-651 didn’t include the program cable or power supply like the PSR500/WS1040 did. But at least I learned a valuable lesson about always checking for rebrands and never buying them when it comes to other products, like how I skip the CountyComm whacker store who rebrands and makes various false claims about their PL360/365/368 clones and just order straight from china or Tecsun Australia instead. (There’s also the flashlights but that’s for another forum website).

Another odd and interesting radio from around the same time was the Pro-107. That was actually kind of alright, basically the same receive ranges and analog only trunk capabilities of the BC346XT but with the iPod-like design and database scanning, analog scanner with a built in recording function was great. No idea if the software ever stopped working to import the RR database.