Scanner Tales: The NCS-3230; the best accessory I never owned

N9JIG

Sheriff
Around the 2001-2003 timeframe New Communications Systems (NCS) came out with the NCS-3230, a 6-channel mixer/console controller that would allow one to connect up to 6 radios and control the audio much like a communications dispatch console would. You could attach a pair of speakers to monitor the audio similar to “Select” and “Unselect” protocols in a true dispatch console. You could send audio to a recorder, control volumes, select Mutes and all in all really have a handle on several scanner audio lines in a single compact package. It even had a headphone jack so you could monitor without bothering the family.

It had an amplifier to drive the speakers and you could control the audio of each of the two speakers with the balance control. It even had an All-Mute button to instantly silence all radios at once.

This thing went for about $350 back then, which in today’s dollars which would be close to $600 today but it was worth every penny. I had several chances at getting one used over the years but never pulled the trigger as they were always at the wrong time for me. Rich Barnett at Scanner Master (whom I worked for writing books and articles) offered one to me for his cost as SM sold these at retail. I really wish I would have taken him up on that!

From everything I have read and in speaking to those who have owned these they were extremely well built and worked great. They pop up on eBay and other sites from time to time, but I have always been out bid.

The next best thing would be the Zetron Model 27. This is a 4u rack mounted monitor panel that controls up to 8 receivers. It has two integrated speakers with individual volume controls so 4 radios would be sent to each speaker. With individual mute controls one can pretty much set up the way he wants to. While this device takes a little more technical savvy to set up it is a professional way to monitor many radios at once.

A year or three ago these were all the rage on RadioReference with the “Many Scanners” crowd. Some of use tried musical mixers like the various Behringers (of which I still have a 1602 and sold my first one, an X2222) others were buying the Model 27’s off eBay from a reseller of dispatch console components. Again, I should have grabbed one when I had the chance, but I preferred a solution with more individual volume controls and an integrated headphone jack, both of which the Zetron lacked.

While I might grab a Model 27 if I find a working one in my price range, I would give up my left big toe for an NCS3230. It is exactly what I need. I tried to convince some friends of mine to commission a replacement scanner-centric mixer/console/controller, but it would be such a niche product there would be no way to recoup the costs of designing or manufacturing it much less make a profit. My idea was to have 8 and 12 channel units, with individual trimmer volume controls, mute buttons and activity lights for each channel, select up to 4 different speakers using a pair of stereo computer speakers or even integrated speakers, and an integrated power system that could power the scanners as well as process the audio. While I can pretty much do much of that with the Behringer 1602 I have now, having a purpose-built device would be so much better.

If you come across a working NCS-3230 run, don’t walk and grab it. They are worth their weight in bacon for sure.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
We support a fire department that uses one of their products in their vehicles. It has VHF P25, UHF NXDN and 700/800 P25 attached to it. They use it to patch on the fireground. Works ok once you spend the time setting the levels and properly configuring it and the radios.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Did it handle balanced audio? The problem with using most audio accessories with a commercial radio like a Motorola is that if you ground either speaker wire, the magic smoke gets set loose.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it did. They had jumpers that selected an internal isolation transformer as well. The kenwoods came off the DB25.

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I still have one of these NCS-3230s and it is a fantastic device for anyone who monitors multiple radios.
In my opinion, the best trick it can do (and I haven't found anything else that can replicate this) is this special "spacial mode" where all of the connected radios are assigned to their own virtual speakers that are each in a location between the "real" speakers.
Here is a picture:
ncs3230.jpg

This works fantastic and you can literally point your finger at the "virtual" individual radios even though you only have 2 real speakers connected.
I love this thing!

N9JIG

Sheriff
An NCS3230 came up on eBay the other day for $800. I was thinking of making an offer but it was gone by the time I saw the notification.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Behringer X32 Rack is waaaaay better for these uses cases. Especially for you Rich, with the, what, 80+ radios you have?

At one point I was running close to 20+ radios, SDRs, virtual sound card channels etc off of this bad boy via it's digital snake and remote console.

Has Windows, Linux, iPad control apps as well. It's like a massive audio router.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have actually cut way down on my scanners in the office. I have 4 now but when I get my office back to myself again soon I will have either 7 or 8.

I do have a 1u Behringer mixer that might end up in the rack again but have been pretty happy with the internal speakers.

BinaryMode

And here I thought my Creative Soundblaster Omni 5.1 was pretty cool. HAHAHA Good God, man. That's some very impressive hardware.