Scanner Tales: The Regency Years

N9JIG

Sheriff
My interest in scanners started as a child on the early 1970’s when my dad was a part time police officer in the town I grew up in. He had a Plectron set up on the police channel (155.130) in use by our town and a few dozen other towns. Pretty soon however I couldn’t listen to them at night when he generally worked since they moved off to the then new Public Works channel (155.760) to avoid congestion.

Eventually Dad got me an 8-channel Regency TMR-8H VHF-high scanner. I still remember the channel layout, a couple of the channels had some area channels already since he bought it from a friend who worked for the police department in a neighboring town to ours.
  1. 155.370 “City” (Later renamed to (“Point to Point”)
  2. 155.130 Wheeling PD “Daytime” (shared with most of the area suburbs at the time)
  3. 155.760 Wheeling PW, PD “Night Channel”
  4. 154.430 Wheeling FD (before they moved to 154.445)
  5. 156.210 Lake County Countywide
  6. 155.730 Deerfield PD (just north of us)
  7. 155.700 Lake County Sheriff
  8. 155.850 Deerfield PD Car-Car
Eventually I went to Mykroy Electronics (Later renamed to 645 Electronics, reflecting its street address) and bought a couple new crystals. Mykroy, in Wheeling IL, was a special place that had all kinds of electronic parts, a huge selection of vacuum tubes (Valves for my friends in England) and an entire room dedicated to scanners and CB radios. They also had a section of a wall dedicated to the scanner frequencies used in the area, hand scribbled with corrections and additions inked in from time to time. The also had all the crystals for all the scanners of the day. I saved up lawn-mowing earnings for a few weeks and bought 4 new crystals and replaced the ones I was less interested in with these:
  • 154.680 The original ISPERN
  • 155.655 The new Lake County Sheriff dispatch
  • 154.445 Wheeling’s new Fire channel
  • 155.640 Cook County Sheriff
I had this scanner until my Junior year in high school when I blew it up in Electronics class (Anyone remember Tom Schonouer, WB9QII? He was the teacher and had a 2M repeater there.) I tried to connect the scanner to the repeater antenna to see how well it would work and must have reversed the power cord and smoked the thing. Literally. Half the components were burned to a crisp, most of the rest damaged by the resultant fire. We set off the school’s fire alarm as well, fun times!

Soon, Wheeling and other area towns started moving to T-Band (470.xxxx) and my old VHF scanners couldn’t hear them. I then got one of those 20 channel Regency ACT-R20’s. To fill it with crystals ($6 each) cost more than the radio so I was only able to get a few at a time. While still in high school I was hired as a POC (“Paid on Call”, basically a volunteer who got paid per call) firefighter and used my radio hobby to help maintain the Minitors in use by the FD. I also worked the Command Van on occasion, including some pretty big incidents.

Eventually I saved up enough money to put a two-way radio in my car for my firefighting duties. Several of us did this and one of our guys was a Regency two-way dealer so set us up with the RH256 16-channel programmable radios. By then I had 2 of the ACT-R20’s, one for the house and another for the car but crystals were bankrupting me so I traded one the 20-channel scanners for a new Regency M100 that shared a case design with the VHF mobile radio I already had. These fit nicely in between the seats of the car and even better when I got a Bronco!

Fast forward a couple more years and I got into GMRS so naturally I bought an RU256, basically a UHF version of the VHF radio I already had. These three radios looked great together, making a nice flat face when installed between the seats.

I had several other Regency scanners over the years, I was much more a Regency guy than a Bearcat guy for a while. Other than a BC250 and a BC20/20 I pretty much stayed in the Regency camp for a long time. I intended to replace the M100 with the brand new MX7000 in the early 1980’s. It was advertised to cover just about every frequency one could want, including the new 800 MHz. band a couple local towns were switching to then. The pre-production pictures in Popular Communications’ ads showed it in an identical case as the M100 so I figured it would fit right in.

A quick call to Communications Electronics, and my order was placed, they said I was the first order they had for this as well as the HX2000 handheld. They said the scanner should be here within 4-6 weeks and they would call when it was on the way. Well, they did and when it arrived a month or so later I found the case was much smaller than anticipated. It also have no mounting holes. I called CE and they said they were as surprised as I was, their info came from Regency and Regency provided the pictures, apparently that was a mockup or demo unit. They called me back a few days later and said that the manufacturer was actually AOR-Japan and they were able to acquire compression brackets for this. As I was the first purchaser they sent the bracket to me for free. It worked but it was not ideal. I decided to keep the MX7000 for the house and left the M100 in the car.

I also bought at the same time an HX2000, pretty close to the handheld version of the MX7000. I am not sure but I would assume it too was private labeled for Regency by AOR as well. These radios were extremely sensitive but not very selective and had the scan rate of frozen molasses. You could time the scan speed with a stopped clock. A buddy of mine bought the Regency MX5000, the same as the MX7000 but without the 800 MHz. band. It performed the same as the 7000 in speed, selectivity and sensitivity. I suspect they did the same as Bearcat did with their first 800 MHz. scanners and used a UHF to 800 converter.

The one scanner from Regency that I wish I still had was the HX1000. This handheld was one of the best performing scanners I had ever used but I sold it to buy the HX2000. I never quite got over that, it wasn’t until the BC200 that I had a handheld that good.

After the debacle with the HX2000 and MX7000 I started to lean more on Bearcat. I got the BC20/20 and discovered it fit the package shelf above the glovebox of my Bronco perfectly and it lived there for several years.

My last Regency scanner was that M100. Later I almost bought a RELM HS100 but someone else beat me to it. A friend had one and said it was extremely sensitive as well as selective. If you weren’t aware Regency sold their scanner line to Uniden who then pretty much dropped all the Regency designs and put the Regency name on some of the existing Uniden scanners. A few year later (probably after a No-Compete clause expired) the now-renamed RELM (Regency Electronics Land Mobile?) came out with a couple new scanners. RELM had retained the two-way radio business during the interim and made a line of VHF and UHF radios. These new RELM scanners were well received and worked great but they just could not compete with Uniden and Radio Shack for market share.

As a nostalgia piece around 2000 or so I bought a Regency TMR-8H at a hamfest and even scrounged up some crystals to set it up the same way my first scanner had been. Amazingly the frequencies were still in use for the most part the same way they had been some 30 years before, although some were now backup channels instead of mainline. I think I gave that away when I moved 15 years later.

Some of you might remember Wilson also had radios much like the Regency RH256 and RU256 called the “Citicom” or something similar. The local railroad junction tower (at DeVal on the C&NW) had one of these for talking to the Soo Line that crossed there. I also saw them occasionally at hamfests and even installed in a state trooper’s car during that time. I assume they were private labeled for Wilson for Wilson or perhaps Wilson was a subsidiary or related to Regency somehow. Someone here should know!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Around 1982 I bought a Regency Touch M400. It was my first non crystal scanner and it was awesome. I mounted it upside down on the vehicle ceiling so I could see/program it. It received cellular and cordless phones, baby monitors and whatever else back then. It could cover so many frequencies I was in heaven.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking that Regency also made some two way radios very similar to scanner models. They were programmable, but one had to do some tinkering with jumpers to get them into program mode. Made for good "extra" radio in the fire department car.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I'm thinking that Regency also made some two way radios very similar to scanner models. They were programmable, but one had to do some tinkering with jumpers to get them into program mode. Made for good "extra" radio in the fire department car.
Yes, those were the RH256 and RU256 that I mentioned in the original post. One trick was to rewire the front panel light switch to put it in program mode so you would not have to open the radio.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you weren’t aware Regency sold their scanner line to Uniden who then pretty much dropped all the Regency designs and put the Regency name on some of the existing Uniden scanners.
I have a Regency R-1600 and Uniden BC-760XLT. They appear to be identical except for the size of the 4 buttons under the display. Both have the same frequency coverage. The Regency scanner has a Uniden ID tag on the back. There also was an earlier model of the BC-760XLT which used 2 AA cells for memory retention, had a Motorola pin jack for the antenna instead of a BNC, and lacked the TAPE OUT jack. I have the older BC-760XLT also.

KC1THE

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

My first scanner was a Regency HX-1500 bought in the 1980's. I still have it (plus case, AC adapter, & manual). It runs, it scans (I can hear it clicking), but it does not pick up any signals even though agencies are still analog in my area.

Any idea why there is no output where it still appears to be operational? The antenna socket and pin on the BNC look fine.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The clicking could be the squelch switching on and off. Since you hear the click, the audio output and speaker are OK. I would check electrolytic capacitors in the audio circuit between the discriminator output and the switched audio. Electrolytics have a tendency to dry out and fail with time. Does it appear to be stopping on frequencies?

Last edited:

mark40

Premium Subscriber
My monitoring hobby started Christmas 1972 with a Regency MR10D, a tunable VHF receiver that had tubes. Down thru the years owned Pearce Simpson, Lafayette, Bearcat/Uniden, Radio Shack/GRE and Whistler and had a RELM HS200 that was a fine performer.

Attachments

• 125382.jpg
    125382.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 15

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I had a Regency Touch K100 that I absolutely loved. In the fall of 1981 I went to Radioman "A" School at USCG Training Center Petaluma CA. I asked my mom to ship it out to me, which she did, and I remember listening to a lot of activity in Sonoma County. As a matter of fact, right before I graduated school in February of 1982, there were some really bad mudslides from the Petaluma area all the way down to just about San Francisco. I remember a lot of people coming to me knowing I had the scanner in my room, asking what was "really" going on.

Fun stuff and another great memory Rich. Thanks for your post and to Rig Reference for keeping around photos of vintage stuff.

Attachments

• Regency Touch K100.jpg
    Regency Touch K100.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 11

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
My starter radio was an old Radio Shack "Patrolman" handheld. It was tunable so there was a lot of adjacent channel interference as the radio tuned in at least a dozen channels at one time. Plus, the display meant you really didn't know what frequency range you were tuning. Thus, the next purchase was a Regency TMR-8H just like you. I went away to college and could not afford new crystals for it, so I just sat and watched the neat lights of each channel being scanned. Then I graduated from college, got married, started with the U.S. Forest Service and bought new crystals. Plus the USFS radio tech on my National Forest tuned it so I could get the higher frequencies the USFS was on. I was in heaven scanner wise! In 1976 I contemplated the purchase of the new BC-210, but had to wait until 1978 when I could afford it. I was finally on a permanent rather than seasonal appointment so I could afford such things when I earned a little overtime. I had moved and didn't want to purchase crystals for yet a third location with the radio. I still have the TMR-8H in a radio footlocker in my garage, on a high shelf. I'm getting older and should start getting rid of stuff like that!

tvengr

Well Known Member
No it doesn't stop on any frequency. Not even weather.
Do you have a photo of the scanner. I have seen images of both desktop crystal and handheld synthesized scanners with the same number. If you are not receiving weather, it sounds like an RF problem. Try sticking about an 18" piece of thin solid wire into the center of the BNC antenna jack. that will be an excellent VHF antenna for weather. Do you see it scanning on the display?

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
My interest in scanners started as a child on the early 1970’s when my dad was a part time police officer in the town I grew up in. He had a Plectron set up on the police channel (155.130) in use by our town and a few dozen other towns. Pretty soon however I couldn’t listen to them at night when he generally worked since they moved off to the then new Public Works channel (155.760) to avoid congestion.

Eventually Dad got me an 8-channel Regency TMR-8H VHF-high scanner. I still remember the channel layout, a couple of the channels had some area channels already since he bought it from a friend who worked for the police department in a neighboring town to ours.
  1. 155.370 “City” (Later renamed to (“Point to Point”)
  2. 155.130 Wheeling PD “Daytime” (shared with most of the area suburbs at the time)
  3. 155.760 Wheeling PW, PD “Night Channel”
  4. 154.430 Wheeling FD (before they moved to 154.445)
  5. 156.210 Lake County Countywide
  6. 155.730 Deerfield PD (just north of us)
  7. 155.700 Lake County Sheriff
  8. 155.850 Deerfield PD Car-Car
Eventually I went to Mykroy Electronics (Later renamed to 645 Electronics, reflecting its street address) and bought a couple new crystals. Mykroy, in Wheeling IL, was a special place that had all kinds of electronic parts, a huge selection of vacuum tubes (Valves for my friends in England) and an entire room dedicated to scanners and CB radios. They also had a section of a wall dedicated to the scanner frequencies used in the area, hand scribbled with corrections and additions inked in from time to time. The also had all the crystals for all the scanners of the day. I saved up lawn-mowing earnings for a few weeks and bought 4 new crystals and replaced the ones I was less interested in with these:
  • 154.680 The original ISPERN
  • 155.655 The new Lake County Sheriff dispatch
  • 154.445 Wheeling’s new Fire channel
  • 155.640 Cook County Sheriff
I had this scanner until my Junior year in high school when I blew it up in Electronics class (Anyone remember Tom Schonouer, WB9QII? He was the teacher and had a 2M repeater there.) I tried to connect the scanner to the repeater antenna to see how well it would work and must have reversed the power cord and smoked the thing. Literally. Half the components were burned to a crisp, most of the rest damaged by the resultant fire. We set off the school’s fire alarm as well, fun times!

Soon, Wheeling and other area towns started moving to T-Band (470.xxxx) and my old VHF scanners couldn’t hear them. I then got one of those 20 channel Regency ACT-R20’s. To fill it with crystals ($6 each) cost more than the radio so I was only able to get a few at a time. While still in high school I was hired as a POC (“Paid on Call”, basically a volunteer who got paid per call) firefighter and used my radio hobby to help maintain the Minitors in use by the FD. I also worked the Command Van on occasion, including some pretty big incidents.

Eventually I saved up enough money to put a two-way radio in my car for my firefighting duties. Several of us did this and one of our guys was a Regency two-way dealer so set us up with the RH256 16-channel programmable radios. By then I had 2 of the ACT-R20’s, one for the house and another for the car but crystals were bankrupting me so I traded one the 20-channel scanners for a new Regency M100 that shared a case design with the VHF mobile radio I already had. These fit nicely in between the seats of the car and even better when I got a Bronco!

Fast forward a couple more years and I got into GMRS so naturally I bought an RU256, basically a UHF version of the VHF radio I already had. These three radios looked great together, making a nice flat face when installed between the seats.

I had several other Regency scanners over the years, I was much more a Regency guy than a Bearcat guy for a while. Other than a BC250 and a BC20/20 I pretty much stayed in the Regency camp for a long time. I intended to replace the M100 with the brand new MX7000 in the early 1980’s. It was advertised to cover just about every frequency one could want, including the new 800 MHz. band a couple local towns were switching to then. The pre-production pictures in Popular Communications’ ads showed it in an identical case as the M100 so I figured it would fit right in.

A quick call to Communications Electronics, and my order was placed, they said I was the first order they had for this as well as the HX2000 handheld. They said the scanner should be here within 4-6 weeks and they would call when it was on the way. Well, they did and when it arrived a month or so later I found the case was much smaller than anticipated. It also have no mounting holes. I called CE and they said they were as surprised as I was, their info came from Regency and Regency provided the pictures, apparently that was a mockup or demo unit. They called me back a few days later and said that the manufacturer was actually AOR-Japan and they were able to acquire compression brackets for this. As I was the first purchaser they sent the bracket to me for free. It worked but it was not ideal. I decided to keep the MX7000 for the house and left the M100 in the car.

I also bought at the same time an HX2000, pretty close to the handheld version of the MX7000. I am not sure but I would assume it too was private labeled for Regency by AOR as well. These radios were extremely sensitive but not very selective and had the scan rate of frozen molasses. You could time the scan speed with a stopped clock. A buddy of mine bought the Regency MX5000, the same as the MX7000 but without the 800 MHz. band. It performed the same as the 7000 in speed, selectivity and sensitivity. I suspect they did the same as Bearcat did with their first 800 MHz. scanners and used a UHF to 800 converter.

The one scanner from Regency that I wish I still had was the HX1000. This handheld was one of the best performing scanners I had ever used but I sold it to buy the HX2000. I never quite got over that, it wasn’t until the BC200 that I had a handheld that good.

After the debacle with the HX2000 and MX7000 I started to lean more on Bearcat. I got the BC20/20 and discovered it fit the package shelf above the glovebox of my Bronco perfectly and it lived there for several years.

My last Regency scanner was that M100. Later I almost bought a RELM HS100 but someone else beat me to it. A friend had one and said it was extremely sensitive as well as selective. If you weren’t aware Regency sold their scanner line to Uniden who then pretty much dropped all the Regency designs and put the Regency name on some of the existing Uniden scanners. A few year later (probably after a No-Compete clause expired) the now-renamed RELM (Regency Electronics Land Mobile?) came out with a couple new scanners. RELM had retained the two-way radio business during the interim and made a line of VHF and UHF radios. These new RELM scanners were well received and worked great but they just could not compete with Uniden and Radio Shack for market share.

As a nostalgia piece around 2000 or so I bought a Regency TMR-8H at a hamfest and even scrounged up some crystals to set it up the same way my first scanner had been. Amazingly the frequencies were still in use for the most part the same way they had been some 30 years before, although some were now backup channels instead of mainline. I think I gave that away when I moved 15 years later.

Some of you might remember Wilson also had radios much like the Regency RH256 and RU256 called the “Citicom” or something similar. The local railroad junction tower (at DeVal on the C&NW) had one of these for talking to the Soo Line that crossed there. I also saw them occasionally at hamfests and even installed in a state trooper’s car during that time. I assume they were private labeled for Wilson for Wilson or perhaps Wilson was a subsidiary or related to Regency somehow. Someone here should know!
What a nice story which brings back loads of memories! I had a whole bank of Regency scanners-not so great build quality but they worked great. I agree the HX'1000 was the best handheld I ever had. Wish I still had it.
I had the mx'7000 years later but it was temperamental and full of birdies.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
One of the most interesting and well done reviews of historical listening I have seen on RR! Thanks for taking the time to share. I had a few old regencys, both crystal. ($$$ I spent at the time was large). and newer but by far my favorite related was the relm re2000 which was actually a racing scanner but did many things well and very sensitive. I introduced this radio to 2 friends who were nascar people and each had this radio for many years.

KC1THE

Do you have a photo of the scanner. I have seen images of both desktop crystal and handheld synthesized scanners with the same number. If you are not receiving weather, it sounds like an RF problem. Try sticking about an 18" piece of thin solid wire into the center of the BNC antenna jack. that will be an excellent VHF antenna for weather. Do you see it scanning on the display?
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that sometime this week and post a picture.