Scanner UNIDEN BCD996XT has stopped receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcgama

Friends, I need some help ....
My scanner stopped working.

I went to plug it into the power, he hung up and called.
So I called him again because he is not receiving anything else. I did a test and put it on a frequency in 2 radios that I have here. Both radios received but the scanner is not receiving anything. It does not seem to have an antenna connected because I only hear the typical frequency hiss.

I already reset it by pressing the 2 + 9 + HOLD key and nothing worked.
Can someone tell me what might have happened and what do I have to do to get back to work?

The firmware version is 1.07.03

Rafael

marksmith

Not sure I understand your problem.

You called him and he is not receiving? Don't understand what you are trying to say.

What 2 radios are you talking about? Both radios received what? What is the scanner not receiving?

If you don't think it has an antenna connected, the key combo won't help, only clear the radio of any data.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

rcgama

Hi friend,

My scanner stopped receiving ... I can not hear anything else.

The test I did was to turn on another radio on the same frequency that was on my scanner.

So on this other radio I called on the frequency. But I can not hear anything on the scanner ....

It was working normally a few days ago, but today I called started to present these problems .... :(

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you transmit on a radio that is very close to the scanner, you may be overpowering the scanner and mess up its front end. I think there is a diode somewhere in the scanner that goes bad when this happens.

Try doing a weather search/scan and see if you receive any weather broadcasts. If you don't then it's probably time to send the scanner in for repair.

marksmith

Transmissions from an FM portable in the same room as a scanner will eventually desensitize the front end of the scanner.

Done close to the scanner will desensitize it faster.

Mark

rcgama

believe it is not this, because I also tested other frequencies that I was hearing before on the scanner unit bcd996xt and now I hear absolutely nothing else.

This is the question. Before I could hear now out of nowhere, I can not hear anymore.

The test I did was transmitting on a frequency and trying to hear on the scanner and still could not hear anything.
So what I did was try to scan other frequencies that had communication, in my other radio I hear but in the scanner at the same frequency I do not hear anything .....

Odd thing, this problem came out of nowhere, turning on the scanner .....

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
My reception FAQ's
Id look at tips 2 3 4 7 8 11 13

Try tuning in the noaa weather stations in the area since they always transmit. If you can't receive them and you know it should, I'm aware of a 3 996XT's here that had the same issues, couldn't receive.Only one I got info for when they all got sent in to Uniden repair was to replace IC21.

I agree with comment 2... Appears your working with another persons 996xt? Rather confusing to say the least in your comment.

rcgama

Someone's friends have any idea what might have happened?

I talked to a person who does maintenance on radio and told me that these UNIDEM devices the manufacturer does not provide parts for commercialization .... If my scanner really has been damaged and needs to be changed some the piece told me that they are difficult to buy parts ... is this true?

marksmith

believe it is not this, because I also tested other frequencies that I was hearing before on the scanner unit bcd996xt and now I hear absolutely nothing else.

This is the question. Before I could hear now out of nowhere, I can not hear anymore.

The test I did was transmitting on a frequency and trying to hear on the scanner and still could not hear anything.
So what I did was try to scan other frequencies that had communication, in my other radio I hear but in the scanner at the same frequency I do not hear anything .....

Odd thing, this problem came out of nowhere, turning on the scanner .....
When a scanner front end is desensitized by overpowering the front end, it happens across whole bands, and across the whole spectrum, not just specific frequencies.

Mark

rcgama

Exactly. In all bands stopped desensitized. The video is only the basis for you to see. But it is in all desensitized bands ...

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I've returned 4 996XT's for going deaf. 1 of my own and 3 of the ones where I work. It seems to be a faulty IC. All four came back receiving like a champ from repair and all four had the exact same IC replaced in the scanners.

This is probably the same issue with yours.

rcgama

I've returned 4 996XT's for going deaf. 1 of my own and 3 of the ones where I work. It seems to be a faulty IC. All four came back receiving like a champ from repair and all four had the exact same IC replaced in the scanners.

This is probably the same issue with yours.

You said: "It seems to be a faulty IC"

What would this IC be?
Does the unit provide this friend repair part?

Thank you.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It seems to be a faulty IC.

Probably not so much faulty as being blown by excessive RF power being applied to the antenna input, due to a transmitter being keyed too close to the scanner antenna.

rcgama

Probably not so much faulty as being blown by excessive RF power being applied to the antenna input, due to a transmitter being keyed too close to the scanner antenna.

And what the suggestion?
I also inform you that the antenna is 25 meters away from the scanner.
And what explains why I can not hear any other frequencies?

Thank you

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you key up a powerful radio too close to the scanner, a high level of RF energy is sent from the scanner antenna into the scanner receiver, and can permanently damage the receiver, sort of like a person going deaf because of gunshots being fired next to their ear.

Lower levels of RF can cause temporary deafness, similar to trying to carry on a conversation near a jet engine while it is running.

If the scanner cannot hear anything when you turn the transmitter off, it is permanently damaged, and must be sent in for repair.

If turning off the transmitter allows the scanner to hear again, it is just temporarily deafened by the transmitter, and you can resolve the problem by moving the scanner antenna farther away from the transmitter.

How powerful is the transmitter near the scanner?

rcgama

I have some equipment near the scanner. Like the ic2200's icon.
But the strange thing about it all is that it was working and I've never used the scanner at the same time using the ic2200 processing, understand?

I just did the video demonstrating the problem but I never used the radio together with the scanner ...

The worst thing is that I talked to some technicians and they told me that Unidem equipment is annoying to repair because the factory does not offer spare parts .... Honestly, I do not know what to do, it was working, the scanner is brand new in sheet ... and now this problem, and the worst is knowing if I can fix it ....

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Just to be clear, did you fully reset the scanner?

Power OFF
Press 2, 9 and HOLD and power ON

You should see the display say something like "Clearing Memory"

Status
Not open for further replies.