Scanner update 3/17/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAbirdman

I also notice that after applying this update, it's no longer possible to unplug the USB cable (while it is charging) without the TRX-1 shutting off. This is very annoying.

There is no problem when I initial plug it into a USB charger / adapter, however when you unplug it, the unit just shuts off (it doesn't appear to perform a clean shutdown).

This occurs with a USB adapter (Maxboost Wall adapter) and my laptop USB ports.
Watch out unplugging the usb while it's on. Depends on what the scanner is doing (writing to the SD card for example) it can corrupt the card. I have my plugged in on my work bench and a few times I turn the bench off forgetting to turn the scanner off. Most times nothing happens, but a few times the card was toast or I lost a couple of objects.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
FWIW - I use the status bits on the Anne Arundel system to allow me to monitor for priority police calls (which are typically patched across multiple talkgroups) without enabling and listening to the constant drone of police yak, yak, yak.

I also use them to monitor pressing of the emergency button (which around here - like just a few seconds ago) - are typically false alarms followed by other who think they accidentally pressed it so they try to clear it but actually set their off also. Most people don't know how to reset it.

All of these are also accompanied by programmed audible and visual alerts as well.

bheisner

Premium Subscriber
Watch out unplugging the usb while it's on. Depends on what the scanner is doing (writing to the SD card for example) it can corrupt the card. I have my plugged in on my work bench and a few times I turn the bench off forgetting to turn the scanner off. Most times nothing happens, but a few times the card was toast or I lost a couple of objects.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I just got the following response from Whistler:

"The handheld units should be shut off before removing USB power to prevent corruption to the SD card. It has always been like this and their have been no changes to the code for this function."

I'm shutting the unit off now before unplugging it just to be safe.

I did notice this update now requires you to hit the power button twice to shut it off (it beeps the first time).

That is a nice feature and I like it. There have been many times where I've bumped the power button by accident and the unit just shutdown. Now it gives you a warning.

Joseph11

It beeps when you hit it but still shuts off if you continue to hold it down.

Ed6698

I just got the following response from Whistler:

"The handheld units should be shut off before removing USB power to prevent corruption to the SD card. It has always been like this and their have been no changes to the code for this function."

I'm shutting the unit off now before unplugging it just to be safe.

I did notice this update now requires you to hit the power button twice to shut it off (it beeps the first time).

That is a nice feature and I like it. There have been many times where I've bumped the power button by accident and the unit just shutdown. Now it gives you a warning.

This is in the owners manual. Same thing goes for plugging it in also, unit must be off before plugging in.

Also if your scanner would shut off from just bumping the power button, sounds like there is a issue with the power button. These scanner do not shut off unless the button is pressed and held down for a couple of seconds.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

No, no change here either. You just hold the power button down, as always.

bheisner

Premium Subscriber
It beeps when you hit it but still shuts off if you continue to hold it down.

Yes. But at least it warns you now.

BTW, I can now unplug the USB cable and the unit did not shut off this time. In fact, I tried it 3 times in a row and it stay one. My TRX-1 has always worked this way (from day one). The shut down issue just recently surfaced, I've been unplug it for months while like that.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Ever since my BC100 back in 1984, the manuals have always said plug in, then turn on; turn off then unplug. Makes sense.

firemast

after the update my NXDN Ch i can Now only hear half the conversation like hear the cars and not the base is there any thing i can try to fix i tried adjusting the squelch and plating with the att and still the same

djbrane

EZScan questions

Very new to EZScan and the TRX-1, trying to figure it all out.

I am missing a huge amount of traffic compared to my GRE-600 that is setting next to the TRX-1. Maybe wrongly, but I attribute it to the scanner taking too much time to scan back around to that talkgroup or conventional channel. The GRE actually has more programmed into it. Is there a way to speed up the scan? I noticed "blink time" settings, does that have to do with it?

I have conventionals and trunked systems both in the same scanlist, is this effecting performance?

How can I change the order of my conventional channels, or can I? I am used to WIN500 where you select and move them where you need to.

When I click the help tab and view help, nothing happens. I read where someone else was having the same issue but didn't see a fix.

The reception is poor too at times, seems to be very distorted/digital on our P25 system when the 600 is clear.

I apologize in advance for the newbie questions. Definitely not new to scanners/scanning but am to this model and software. It has kicked my butt and been very trying to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.