Scanner upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweekd

Hey guys , quick question. I am currently running 2 BCT8's , & seems like I am starting to lose alot of activity due to departments operating , or switching on to digital systems . I am looking into upgrading to a digital scanners , & would like some recommendations or advice on a good scanner at a pretty reasoonable price .. The BCT8's have been great for a starter scanner , & I was thinking of staying with the Uniden line. I just feel now its time to bump up to something a lil newer & in the mobile digital family.

af5rn

Well, if you look at the Uniden line, you'll see you only have one choice in a mobile/base digital scanner, so that pretty well eliminates any research or decision making process, lol. Now you just have to force yourself to part with the $500 bucks.

rafale01010

I would have to say go with either the RS Pro 96(handheld) or the Pro 2096(mobile/base). It works wonders and is also user-friendly. Uniden makes excellent scanners but the prices for new and USED are still too high for my kind of budget and i've also heard that learning how to use a Bearcat can have a steeper learning curve as its not exactly user-friendly. But thats just my opinion.

mciupa

Database Admin
A digital , mobile Uniden scanner at a reasonable price would be a used BCD996T.
Watch e-bay ,I saw one for $330 , which is too good to be true.
I suppose for that price it was not "gently used" :roll:

cpuerror

I have a 996 and I think its freakin awesome. You pay a lot for it initially but it will give you many years of service in return. I would have probably just spent that money on something..... inappropiate .. anyways so I'm glad I have mine. Nothing will be perfect but it is a great toy to have.

Last edited:

af5rn

cpuerror said:
I would have probably just spent that money on something..... inappropiate ..
Inappropriate is in the eye of the beholder. My wife thinks $500 for a "stupid scanner" is beyond inappropriate, lol.

btritch

If uniden etc. is going to cost you $500, I'd just invest in the best on the market from what I've heard on here, Well, Maybe not the best but it will do the 700 mhz trunking systems that radio shack's won't do... I'd get a GRE PSR 500 hand held... There's also a mobile version of it... or base, whatever you want to call it, it's refered to as either...I mean they're going to be $500 so if you're going to have to invest in that much anyways, I'd just get something that will do all of it including the 700 mhz and rebanding etc.

tweekd

Thanks for the great responses guys .. I have looked at teh RS's , but have had issues with RS CB's in the past let alone their scanners .. lol In any case , I had my eye on the 996 as well , but wasn't sure just what else may be out there that was possibly either a better unit , or a litttle cheaper in price. LOL. I get some extra tax money back soon , so we'll see what I dig up with it .. Thanks again ..!

NYRHKY94

Tweekd:

If you are looking at the $500 range for a digital scanner, you should strongly consider the new GRE line as noted in an earlier post. These units incorporate the "best of both worlds" in my opinion. They have the feature set (and much more) of the Unidens and the digital sound processing & clarity of the RS models. You also get a USB programming cable as part of the $500 price (new).

Status
Not open for further replies.