scanner upgrade suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirlyn

Premium Subscriber
I'm still running a Pro-92 and a Pro-2067 for Sedgwick/Wichita public service monitoring which work great, but I'm looking to upgrade and should take the new system into consideration. I've read a little about KSICS, and it looks like it'll eventually make my equipment outdated (betting these are analog-only receivers, and the new system looks exclusively digital).

Is the BCD996XT a safe bet on the new system? Or should I wait for a newer scanner to be available closer to the implementation of KSICS around here?

Thanks!

dgruver911

Closer? KSICS is here....all KHP Wichita traffic is P25, Butler and Reno Counties will be by the end of the year, Sedgwick County plans to be in a couple of years or so. So you may as well start looking now. I'll let someone else make recommendations; I have a Pro197 and a GRE500. They do OK but I can't believe there isn't soemthing better out there. I seem to miss a lot of traffic especially on VHF.

Mirlyn

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, closer as in closer to when SG dumps the current trunking system. Like you said, I'm thinking I have another year or two if something better is being anticipated.

Thanks

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
I agree with dgruver - A digital radio will be needed for the modern, up to date counties, but a decent analog radio for the conventional channels seems prudent. I have a 500 that moves around the house with me, but I have an old Pro-2006, on a ledge in the living room programmed with the the local VHF channels, it hears GREAT. The 500 hardly ever stops on VHF channels, because the Sedgwick Co. trunking system stays pretty busy. I haven't used a Uniden scanner for a long time ( i have several on a shelf in my library , but they are fine scanners. I'm thinking about getting a 396 just to play with the programming. Either brand of radio is fine, things are going digital, but Andy & Barney still talk on their conventional radios.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Uniden

I'm still running a Pro-92 and a Pro-2067 for Sedgwick/Wichita public service monitoring which work great, but I'm looking to upgrade and should take the new system into consideration. I've read a little about KSICS, and it looks like it'll eventually make my equipment outdated (betting these are analog-only receivers, and the new system looks exclusively digital).

Is the BCD996XT a safe bet on the new system? Or should I wait for a newer scanner to be available closer to the implementation of KSICS around here?

Thanks!

I'd wait and see what UNIDEN annouces during their OPEN HOUSE....

jereck_99

Premium Subscriber
i would go with a Radio Shack Digtal scanner it is easy to program and easy to change the program in

Status
Not open for further replies.