Scanner upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

RudeMule

Hello. I’m considering a scanner upgrade. Currently using a BC340CRS and would like to upgrade to a digital scanner. I would like to pick up all the local analog police/fire/ems, but also the Trunked systems in my area. I was looking into the BCD536HP, but now leaning towards a 996 model.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am located in Randolph County, Missouri.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It is a good scanner and looking at your area frequencies oh, it appears that your county is still on VHF High frequencies. You are apparently patrolled by the Sheriff's Office? You do have a phase 1 Statewide interop system that your Highway Patrol is on called MOSWIN... I don't see any encryption anywhere you lucky dog.

The 996 P2 might very well be a good choice for you but if I could suggest, go to your state forum and ask around. Make sure there's no surprises coming your way in the future. It looks like Rudolph county is on a pretty old system. You just want to be aware that there isn't going to be any major upgrades to a tdma phase 2 simulcast system anywhere in your future as that will be a horse of a different color. The 996 P2 is P2 capable but there would be better choices.

If it appears that everything is going to stay the same and there's no Rumblings about any new systems I think the 996 P2 is a great choice and the price is right.

Reconrider

The 996p2 would be a great choice.
Looks like all of your county is still on analog.
State trunk system is p25 phase 1 which will work good with the 996

RudeMule

996p2 is a good choice and the least problematic of all of the newer scanners
It is a good scanner and looking at your area frequencies oh, it appears that your county is still on VHF High frequencies. You are apparently patrolled by the Sheriff's Office? You do have a phase 1 Statewide interop system that your Highway Patrol is on called MOSWIN... I don't see any encryption anywhere you lucky dog.

The 996 P2 might very well be a good choice for you but if I could suggest, go to your state forum and ask around. Make sure there's no surprises coming your way in the future. It looks like Rudolph county is on a pretty old system. You just want to be aware that there isn't going to be any major upgrades to a tdma phase 2 simulcast system anywhere in your future as that will be a horse of a different color. The 996 P2 is P2 capable but there would be better choices.

If it appears that everything is going to stay the same and there's no Rumblings about any new systems I think the 996 P2 is a great choice and the price is right.

Correct. We are patrolled by county as well as MoHWP. I am sure there will be a long learning curve with the 996 but I want something a “grow” into.

thanks for the info

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Correct. We are patrolled by county as well as MoHWP. I am sure there will be a long learning curve with the 996 but I want something a “grow” into.

thanks for the info
Giving your coverage situation and as long as you are sure that the state or county has not already allocated money and is not planning some kind of a new system for the future you will love your 996 P2. It's been around for a while but will work perfectly for you and will last forever. As was mentioned it's the last radio I can remember Uniden making that doesn't have potential issues that some of the x36s and SDSs have had even though they would be good choices for you too, you don't need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.