Scanner used as two way radio on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Jack Webb's shows, Adam-12, Dragnet, and Emergency, pretty much got it right (most of the time). Captain Stanley liked to talk into the back side of his mic at Station 51.

Also liked to say "Station 51 10-4 KMG365" from the truck in later seasons (but that was just the editors and sound guys making room for more commercials).

They used real radios too, Motorola Motrac or Mocom; pretty sure there was a GE MASTR II in there somewhere as well. And then there was the Biophone. :D

krokus

Premium Subscriber
One of my "favorite" comms gaffes was in "Tears of the Sun" with Bruce Willis & Tom Skerritt. They showed Skerritt standing on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, during flight operations, using a handheld to talk with Willis, who was using a manpack radio. (There were so many "No effing way..." bits about that; it was hard to watch. Especially as a Navy comms tech, who had supported a SEAL Team operating from my carrier.)

6079smithw

One of my "favorite" comms gaffes was in "Tears of the Sun" with Bruce Willis & Tom Skerritt. They showed Skerritt standing on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, during flight operations, using a handheld to talk with Willis, who was using a manpack radio. (There were so many "No effing way..." bits about that; it was hard to watch. Especially as a Navy comms tech, who had supported a SEAL Team operating from my carrier.)
Agreed. For those who may not be familiar with carriers, the noise level on an active flight deck is beyond comprehension... a handheld would be totally useless. (USN 1965-1969 AE2 A-4E WestPac x 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.